Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

anyone done baby led weaning?

hi, anyone done/doing baby led weaning??? luke seems very uninterested in pureed food, he just wants to chew on the spoon (hes 6months on fri) so i thought baby led weaning may spark his interest?? just wanted ur experiences/tips etc

Replies

• Options
    Yes, we did-I think it's the way to go if you start weaning at 6months.

Start with some basic steamed veg-broccoli,carrot,green beans, sweet potato and soft fruit like pears, melon, banana.

Cut everything into chip shapes. You may have to hold things if lo finds it tricky to begin with but he'll soon get the hang of it.

You can also try toast fingers, sticks of cheese, cooked pasta,rice cakes.
    As you get more adventurous you can do omelettes, Yorkshire pud, meat, basically whatever you eat, let him have a taste,as long as you don't add salt or sugar.

Expect a lot of mess and now much eating to begin with-lo will play with the food, explore the shape, texture and taste. Don't worry about choking, the gag reflux will push any food too big to be swallowed to the front of the mouth and he'll spit it out. Just don't give whole cherry tomatos, peas or grapes (peal and slice)

if lo has trouble handling fruit you can buy a 'munchkin' , it's a net bag with a handle for lo to hold.

After a slow start with purees my 8month old just eats whatever we have. I did perserve with the spoon but you don't actually need to if you do blw, goodluck and have fun!xx
  • Options
    hi pippa's entierly blw, the only time she's had puree was when she had some pear in her readybrek. I agree if your at 6 months there's no need to use purees unless you want to. Pippa started on veg and fruit, but really quickly moved onto proper food, she now eats the same food as us, yesterday we had lasagne and she loved it,it's really helped her hand eye co ordination, she was able to pick bits of mince up and eat them, which even suprised me. It is very messy and if your going to stress about how much your lo is eating it might not be the best for you, but if you can get your head round the notion that your baby will eat as much as they need and don't relly need food till there a year anyway then go for it.
    So glad were weaning this way it's lovely seeing how much she loves her food, her fav is brocoli at the mo
    xxx
  • Options
    hi sorry to gatecrash mrs cox, but i am planning to do this to - grace is only 4 months atm. i bought and read the rapley book from cover to cover and thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was amazing, so we had the health visitor last fri and i honestly didnt know if she would say its 'faddy' etc but she backed it all the way saying how rewarding and pleasurable it can be!! i was over the moon!! so i have gone from dreading starting weaning to - bring it on!!
    its so lovely to hear stories of mums actually doing it though - thanks guys!!

jane n grace xxx