Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Chest Infection

Hi all, took Mollie to the Drs this morning as she woke up in the night crying and breathing heavily. She has had a cold for a couple of days and has a cough which sounds like she's barking. Anyway he diagnosed a chest infection and gave her antibiotics.

He said that if her temperature is high, she has trouble breathing or isn't feeding then I'm to phone back immediately and they might consider admitting her to hospital.

My question is what does he mean by not feeding? Generally she takes anywhere between 750 and 1000ml but has been taking less in this hot weather. Today however she's only had 600ml. Do I wait and see how she feeds tomorrow - perhaps if she hasn't taken a decent amount by lunchtime ring them for advice then?

Sorry for long post. Any advice appreciated as you can imagine am bit worried about her.
Liz x

Replies

• Options
    docs are useless at giving you the info you want. iv always been confused when books say go to hospital if temp is x but if you call out of hours docs they say dont panic. its so hard to know isnt it. iv been there with my little boy, he had croup and the doc just said he would probably need to go to hospital later that day but just see, i didnt know what i was looking for. when he says not feeding, its if they get dehidrated and need to go in for a drip, its perfectly normal for them not to take so much if there not well so in my opinion what your lo has taken is fine. i would worry if they went all day with no feed. you could offer some cooled boiled water inbetween if your worried as thats less heavy your lo might prefer it. you know what its like if your ill ypu dont always want a proper meal. as for temp i would give calpol regularly just to keep it down and if needed you can give neurofen as well, thats if your lo is old enough. for breathing problems the obveous is looking for the lip colour but if you look just below lo's rib if she was really struggling that would be really sucking in where he was using all her stomach mussles to breath. keep the number out for nhs, you can always call them, even at 3am for some reasurrance if your worried. iv probably covered stuff you know but though id offer my wisdom, its scary when there not well.

[Modified by: siandonna on July 29, 2008 09:44 PM]

• Options
    Thanks for the great advice Siandonna, she has got worse overnight - woke at 12.30am and we put her back to sleep in her bouncy chair as she screamed each time we layed her down.

Going back to doctors this morning as she's sounding increasingly like Darth Vader! Still smiling though which is a good sign.
    Liz x