Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Real Nappies

Hi I'm 37 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child & am considering using real nappies this time. I don't know anyone who uses them & was after some honest advice. Are they really cheaper? the Bambino Mio looks good to me does anyone have any ezperience or advice.
Many thanks.

Replies

• Options
    i read a couple of magazine articles about them and it seemed they really are cheaper in the long run. they cost quite a lot at the start to buy all the bits, but after that, even taking into account having the washing machine on/radiotors on to dry them, the article showed how it costs around ??300 LESS per year! we then bought some tommee tippee reusable ones but we're too bloody lazy so just ended up using disposables. i think if we'd stuck with them though we would have gotten used to them. we sold ours on ebay n whoever bought them got a huge bargain, we lost loads on them. so it might be worth having a look on their for some? xx
  • Options
    If you have a look in the due June forum I have just answered this question over there (it ended up being a very long post!)
  • Options
    i've use bambino mios on both of my 2 & found them an easy system to use. We would change them every 2 hours & we use a disposable at night just coz they are more absorbant. We usually get away with washing on a 40 degree wash & only wash at 60 if there is a really dirty one but we have never had to wash any higher. We dont have a tumble dryer but drying has never been a problem, even in winter, as they seem to dry fairly quickly indoors. Both of mine seem to have been comfortable in them & I definately think you o save a fortune by using them, especially if you intend to use them for more than 1 baby. We would consider ours to have been a great buy. We got the full birth to potty set off ebay for ??150 brand new so it might be worth checking that out for a bargain

Good Luck

Hilary x
  • Options
    I just got my Bambino Mios - Kiddicare do a special offer birth-to-potty pack for under ??200 + free delivery and you get the nappy bin and some extras thrown in.

The newborn size are soooo cute - I can't stop looking at them and imagining a little baby bum in them image
  • Options
    Hi, we use bumgenius pocket nappies. Theyre one size so each nappy adjusts to last from birth to potty training. I really like them and find them very easy to use and very absorbent. x
  • Options
    I use fuzzi bunz, theyre fab!!

My only recommendation for you is DONT buy a birth to potty pack, you need to try a selection to see what works for you. Personally I have only heard bad things about bambino mios (although I have never tried them). I love the 'pocket' style nappy (fuzzi bunz or bumgenius as missymoo said). The bumgenius are velcro and the fuzzi bunz are poppers - again personal preference!
  • Options
    Ha - Linzi - maybe it was Hilary that bought your nappies!!
    I use one life and they are brilliant - no problems with leaking. A shaped Terry with strong poppers and a plastic outer. Like Hilary I use disposables at night and also if we are going away or on a long trip because its easier. It definately adds to the workload of an extra wash and having nappies hanging round the house if its raining. (I do have a tumble dryer but hate using it all the time.)
    Also will your lo will be going to childcare when a bit older? I know some childminders prefer not to have to have washable nappies. If you are out and about everyday you have to carry them around with you but you can get disposable liners so can chuck the smelly bits away.
    I was lucky as a shop close to me was closing down so I got brand new stuff at half price! I'm now using them on my second son so it is definately saving me money (and I will hopefully sell them on.) At the moment they are still in as new condition even though I used them for my first son!
    I think the nappies are really expensive for what they are and would definately recommend shopping around / buying second hand.
    I think they are cheaper in the long run even though you have to pay for liners and to wash and dry them.
    Hope this helps, julesy