Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

sleep routine for baby

Hi,
New to this !!,
Any advice would be much appreciated !!,
Our baby boy is 4 weeks old,And he isnt really sleeping at night that well,
He is waking roughly every 4 hours for his feeds ( 7,11,3,7,11,3 ),
I was putting him down to sleep after his 7pm feed, and 8 times out of ten, he will go to sleep, within 1 - 1 & 1/2 hours,
He would then wake up for his 11pm feed,and again he would go back to sleep within 1 - 1 & 1/2 hours,
But when he wakes up for his 3am feed, thats it, he wont go back to sleep at all until 6am, other mums etc, have told us hes going to bed to early,
So we have tried to keep him awake until 9 ish + , but struggled to keep him awake, and when the 3am feed comes along, again he doesnt want to go back tio sleep, until 6 ish,
With him being only 4 weeks old, are we expecting to much, and is it too early for setting out a routine ???,
Should we be putting him down to bed at the same time each night ???,
Any advice would be a blessing,
As this last few days, have been very stressful, with only a couple of hours sleep...

Replies

• Options
    hi there. I know exactly how you feel and to be honest I probably won't be able to give you any great tips as I too struggled with the routine thing. My little girl got colic at 3 weeks which carried on until 10 weeks do we were completely stuffed when it came to a routine ........ I tried all the baby books and listened to friends, parents etc but to be honest the best advice i got was on this forum which was you will get your lo into a routine when he is ready.

He is still only 4 weeks and very young .... yes some people are lucky and have babies that slip straight into a routine, others have babies that take a bit longer - they are all different and definitely not textbook (well mine certainly wasn't anyway)!!

I would say to continue with what you are doing, you are already starting to get him into a routine by putting him down at 7 this will stand you in good stead for when he is a bit older and more settled and maybe start to bath him before his 7pm feed, that worked for me, Chloe nows that as soon as she goes in the bath it is bedtime.

As for the waking at 3 and not going to sleep until 6, do you interract with him? .... I tried not to talk to Chloe to stimulate her I also stopped changing her nappy at that time (unless obviously she really needed it) as that used to wake her up and that seemed to work for us in getting her back to sleep quicker.

I tried keeping Chloe up later to see if that worked but all that happened was that she got overtired and fractious and wouldn't sleep at all. To be honest, it sounds like you are doing great, just remember he is still very little and it is quite scary for them being in the big wide world when they are used to the warmth and protection of the womb.

Sorry for rambling and sorry that i have not been of much help but it sounds lie you are getting there. Good luck hun Sarah xxx
  • Options
    Hi there, welcome to the site!

To be honest I think you are doing just fine, no two babies ever do the same thing, so you will find you're own routine.
    What we did with our lo was to make the room very dark and quite when gave him his last feed, so he started to understand the difference between day and night, and then when he was about 6 weeks, we started giving a bath before last bottle.
    Like Sarah said, keep on doing what you are doing and you lo will eventually settle into a routine. WE kept doing this and slowly he would sleep a little longer and then a little longer. I'm sure it will all work out soon and you can enjoy some unbroken sleep! Good luck and take care.x
  • Options
    I followed exactly the same routine as you with my little one and she started to sleep through till 6am at around 8 weeks. So hang in there 4 weeks is very young. We tried the keeping her awake longer than 7pm but it didn't work and resulted in an overtired baby who was impossible to settle.
    Good luck x
  • Options
    It sounds like you are doing everything right. The problem is that really lo's just don't know the difference between night and day, my lo used to be exactly the same. One tip that I used was to take her out for a walk between 12 and 2 everyafternoon, apparantly exposure to daylight then helps them to set their body clocks. No idea if it made any difference but it made me feel like I was doing something useful! Kerry xx
  • Options
    my lo was the same. He is now 14 weeks and settles better my main problem is that I think we disturb him so he's going into his own room this weekend to see if that helps. It will also stop me bringing him into our bed (where he happily sleeps!!)
  • Options
    Funny really that he sleeps happily in your bed, my lo is the same. On holiday, if she is in a cot in our room we disturb her, if I take her to bed in desperation she sleeps like a log! I think we are being conned!!
  • Options
    I think you are doing a great job getting him into a routine,he sounds just like the feeding times of our little man.He started to sleep through at around 8 weeks,when i used to feed him at 3a.m i kept the room very dark & never spoke,have you tried swaddling him?Maybe he just wants to feel close to you,he is only young yet.It does get better,you are doing well,good luck!