Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Bottle Feeding/Formula Feeding help needed!

Hello,

My due date is fast approaching and I'm starting to have a wee panic about baby's arrival as I am complete NOVICE when it comes to baby care!

Anyway, I am planning to bottle feed (formula) and have a few questions if any mummies can help me....

1) What do you think is the best way to prepare bottles - I have heard that you make them up as you go, but some people have told me that they keep streilised water already in the bottles (keep in the fridge or cupboard) and then add the formula as baby needs???? I am v confused as I know that formula can't be left for more than 24 hours and a feed cannot be re-used etc etc.

2) Are there any set requirements as to how much feed baby should take, or does it depend on the baby?

3) I have Avent bottles, but also have 2 Dr Brown small bottles. will it confuse baby by using two different makes of bottles?

4) You know if you go out with baby and have the pre-prepared formula in cartons then do you just make sure you take an empty setrilised bottle out with you and just pour in the formula, or do you put the formula in the bottle before leaving the house?

I know I sound really stupid but I haven't a clue and have no mum or sister nearby to help me image

If you have any other tips or advise on formula feeding I would really appreciate it,

Thanks xx

Replies

• Options
    hey there.... i started breast feeding and went onto bottles i was v confused too....
    i find that keeping steralised bottles in fridge and making up as you go along is best . there are giudelines on the formula boxes to how much a baby should have babies are all different but not too much, mine started on 3-4 ounces and is now three months and onto 6-7 bottles when she started finishing bottles fro a day or 2 i uped the feeds. it depends on your baby if she/he will get confused with two teets, i'd try keep to one kind just to limit any stresses for you and baby. i just take bottles of steralised water out with me and tip the formula in when i';m out. If i know i can be somewhere with a microwave i leave water cold in a thermo bag, otherwise i take it out really warm and then its about the right temp when i am out. It only takes about 15sec in the micromave to heat up water. if i think of anything else usefull i'll post it or if you think of any other questions just post it . happy 2b of help
    claire
  • Options
    Hi Katet, there's not much advice out there for bottle feeding mums, but I'll tell you what I do and you can see if it works for you.

I keep boiled water in a sterilised bottle at room temp, when my lo is ready for a feed I just add the amount of formula required. How much your baby will take each feed varies greatly, but as Claire said, your lo will probably start on 3-4 ounces, if your lo drains the bottle completely every feed and gets hungry again quickly then it's probably time to go up an ounce.
    When I am out and about I take my bottles of water with me and a feed dipenser, which stores a measured amount of formula for a feed, I also have a flask that's made by Fisher Price that has a lid big enough to warm a bottle in, and you can get the boiling water out of the flask with one hand.

You can also make formula up in advance, but that must be stored in the fridge below 4 degrees, or bacteria will grow.

If your Dr Browns and Advent bottles are both wide necked them the safe teats may fit between the two, and that should help you lo not get confused. Cow and Gate are really good at giving advice, and you can chat to them on the phone, I think the number is on the website.

Hope that has helped, and if you think of anymore questions then just ask.x
  • Options
    Thanks for both of your advice, it is good to know what other people do as I don't really know anyone with a baby so really don't know the tricks of the trade!!!

I'll probs look on Cow & Gate website or give them a call. I'm sure it all becomes second nature after a few weeks and I will become an expert!
  • Options
    You'll be surprised about how quickly you learn to do everything, it just becomes second nature. Let us know how you get on.x
  • Options
    Hey i was leaflet from department of heath that says you shouldnt add formula to cool boiled water as the formula isnt sterile. it says you should add formula to water that is no cooler than 50 degrees C to kill any baddies in the formula. it also says that you shouldnt keep any in the fridge and make up as you go. i got the leaflet as part of my leaving hospital pack so i guess you should get one too xx
  • Options
    The formula shouldn't be added to water under 50 degrees if the formula is going to be stored, but if it's going to be used straight away then it's fine because any bacteria in the formula doesn't have any time to grow.
  • Options
    Hello peeps,

How do you know if the boiled water is 50 degrees or below? I was thinking that I am gonna make up all bottles in the morning (formula and water), keep in fridge, and then use as needed. I'm confused now about how long I should leave the boiled water before adding the formula!

Sorry to be a pain, more and more questions keep popping into my head x
  • Options
    It says on the back of the formula packet to leave the kettle for 15 mins before you pour it in the bottle, that's what I used to do when I made up my bottles in advance. Don't worry about leaving it to cool, it's fine to put the formula in very hot water, as long as it's not boiling. Make sure you let the bottles cool before you put them in the fridge though. Ask as many questions as you need, that's why this site is great. Take care honey.x
  • Options
    Ah ha! I get it now. That makes sense - I didn't think that you could put the formula in hot water! I think I have cracked this formula malarkey now. I'm sure to have another panic about summat else soon though so keep an eye out for my manic posts!!!