Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

HELP still hungry after 9oz bottles!

EEEK. Well I didnt think Gabe was showing signs of weaning at all but the last couple of days he has been draining a 9oz bottle and crying when its finished. My bottles dont go up to 10 oz!!! He did sleep through last night, but is chewing like mad on his bib, hands, everything. I didnt want to wean him so soon (he is 16 weeks) as it feels like my babys growing up image but if he is still hungry after 9oz then he must be ready?

Replies

• Options
    He could be going through a growth spurt, they all seem to at that age!
    You could leave him a week and if he's the same then introduce baby rice for a few weeks.

I know what you mean though, they don't stay babies for long do they! xx
  • Options
    Hey,

Ella had a growth spurt at 16 weeks too and I switched her to hungry baby formula. Is Gabe showing signs of looking for a feed before usual?
  • Options
    Hi Tiger-Lilly,

I know you wanted to wait as long as possible to wean so Gabe downing a 9oz and wanting more isnt good lol!

I would say this could be a growth spurt and if he is still sleeping through and not waking any earlier in the morning maybe there is something else wrong? Like I said maybe a growth spurt, teething if he is chewing a lot. You could offer water between feeds? Or maybe try giving him one extra feed eg if he feeds at 7am offer him 4oz at 9am to keep him going till his next feed although this may develop into a bad habit.

As ive said before Joshua was a big baby and we managed to hold off weaning till 25 weeks but babies are all so different maybe Gabe really does need more? If you gave him baby rice it would only be a tiny amount and just cos you give him baby rice doesnt mean you have to move on to veg and fruit quickly you could take your time with it...believe me he'll probably spit more out than he swallows anyway.

Good luck lovely xxx
  • Options
    Have you tried the hungry baby formula version - don't know if everyone does it but I know Aptamil do and that might help?image
  • Options
    Gabe is on hungry baby isnt he? if not it may be worth a go trying that.
    Other than that im affriad you might have try some baby rice and think about weaning!
    xxx
  • Options
    Yeah, he's been on hungry baby since about 5/6 weeks old (cow n gate).

OH thinks I'm starving him and he needs some food! lol! I might try him tomorrow. See what he thinks and then if not interested leave it a few weeks.
  • Options
    I have been in the same situation with my daughter. She is 6 now, but when she was about 13 weeks old she started taking 2 full 9ozs bottles in the morning and then full 9ozs bottles every 3 hours during the day(hungry baby formula)

She was under a pediatritian for wide soft spot, and when I told him at her check up when she was 14/15 weeks he said to start her on baby rice.

It never did her any harm.

Tamzin is now 5 weeks old and is on hungrier baby, and is draining 6ozs bottles every feed.

Kerry xxx
  • Options
    After a bit of thought I have decided to wait. He is so young yet and despite being a big hungry boy, I don't think he is ready and for now, I'm putting it down to a growth spurt. If he's the same in a week then I'll reconsider!

He slept 12 1/2 hours through the night too, so cant be all that hungry as he was making out yesterday! He had 8oz of his bottle this morning.

He just seems much too young for food and I am worried it will give him tummy ache or make him constipated!!! I really was going to try him this morning but im too scared! lol
  • Options
    Hi tiger lily
    have you tryed water inbetween his meal one of tips that i got when i had ethan he was very big and and hungry one at that. He was on hungry baby milk at 4 weeks i did wean him earler at 13 week this was nearly 7 years ago then told use wean them 4 months and was given the all clear of HV to wean him as his weight was off the chart past 99.6th bit he now nearly 7 years and normal size boy. If you can leave it as long as you can i would do it but he starts waking up at night for bottle that a good sigh he need weaning.
    ps thank you for voting for Faith and started weaning 2 weeks ago she still not but a lot of weight on and is sleeping though for 7 hours again i just need to get more milk down her
    Cazmac10
  • Options
    Hi tigerlily Leo was the same he was a big hungry boy as he was 10lb when born and i had to put him on hungrier baby milk at 4 weeks as i couldnt keep up and around 15/16 weeks he was doing the same and was waking up for a feed at about 4 am so i thought he was ready to be weaned but he wouldnt even entertain the spoon or rice so i left it for a couple of weeks then tried again and the same he didnt really take to it until about 22 weeks i just put it down to a growth spurt and the fact he liked his milk and still does, hes nearly 1 now and loves his cows milk he can have 3-4 bottles a day aswell as juice i cant keep up with the nappies lol
    vikki xx
  • Options
    WellI ........ it does sound like he is hungry to me!

If he needs weaning then you should try a bit of rice and see what happens, there is no point in delaying it and upsetting him if he needs more food. You can wean babies from 16 weeks as their digestive system should be able to cope with more than milk from then.
    If he does spit the rice out at first don't think he doesn't want it as most babies do this at first until they get used to it. Try again later and see what happens. Good luck xx

btw: The chewing on the hands/bib etc could be a sign of teething as well!
  • Options
    hi babe id try giving him water in betweena feed see if this makes any difference just for 2 more weeks if you can. i weened from 17 weeks but wanted to wait till 18 as i was told not to before 18 weeks which is strangeas other people are told 16 but gabe is a big baby so he should be fine.
  • Options
    In the same situation I'd probably start weaning him hun. It's not like you have to give him loads of food, just a couple of spoonfuls after one feed might just help him. There's nothing in baby rice that would harm him now and if you make it quite runnny it shouldn't upset his tummy.

Saying that, it could be a growth spurt so you could hold out a bit- if he only has four bottles a day then you could make up a couple of spares with just a couple of oz in, and give it to him after his main feed if he finishes it.

Don't feel bad if you do wean him early, as long as you're doing what you feel is right for him then you're doing the right thing.

xxx