Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

breast to formula???

hi everyone my lo is now 12 weeks, she has been fully breastfed since she was born and i now want to give her formula as ive had enough of breastfeeding. the only thing is....she wont drink formula, ive tried different bottles and nothing works, she takes breastmilk fine from a bottle but not the formula, ive tried aptamil and farleys but she wont take either she just moves her head from side to side. can any one give me some tips? t
hanks hannah n tegan x

Replies

• Options
    maybe thats coz she knows breastmilk os WAY better for her than formula. you don't say why you need to stop. why don't you just express the bmilk?
  • Options
    ive tried expressing but i dont get enough for a full feed so that isnt an option and im currently half way through a course at college and cannot go when im breastfeeding her i dnt want cut out breastfeeding all together i still want to give morning and evening feeds, but during the day i wanted to start putting her on formula
  • Options
    ive tried expressing but i dont get enough for a full feed so that isnt an option and im currently half way through a course at college and cannot go when im breastfeeding her i dnt want cut out breastfeeding all together i still want to give morning and evening feeds, but during the day i wanted to start putting her on formula
  • Options
    maybe its because the formula isnt as sweet as breastmilk.

if you do express, you can express one side whilst feeding from the other and you can add to that milk at the next feed.

or if you find it easier, maybe start combining breast and formula in one bottle, and gradually increase the amount of formula you put in the bottles.....

if you can express one feed during the day and store it in an insulated bag it would be ok to give to her later on, and you can freeze milk so if you can express a feed a day and freeze it then when you go back to college whoever is looking after your lo can defrost them and use them.....

whilst the above lady is right that breast is best, its not always practical.

the other thing is a baby will never starve - if she still didnt take formula from a bottle you could just leave her till she will. ???? Maybe a bit harsh tho....???

good luck honey
    xxx
  • Options
    This may sound odd but have you tried offering the formula at different temperatures? When I was weaning my LO from breast to bottle he would only take the formula if it was really warm, once he got used to the taste I started to reduce the temp and now he'll even take room temp if he's hungry.

Other than that (and it sounds like you've tried everything else), I'm not sure x
  • Options
    Hi Hannah,
    I can't offer any advice because Rhianna is exactly the same - I've tried all the formula milks and she spits every one out whilst screaming and giving me dirty looks as if I'm trying to poison her! I've tried different bottles, different temperatures, Daddy giving it to her, Nanna giving it to her......we've done the lot.....
    Best of luck with your lo, when you've cracked it can you please pop round lol!!! xx
  • Options
    my little one is like this with cool boiled water which i (attempt) to give her between feeds if she wants to keep her going or quench her thirst. she totaly turns her nose up at it, takes two sucks then spits it out and screams. but she know that if she doesnt drink the water then she's not getting anything else, i've never given in and i think she's starting to get the message, if she really is thirsty then she'll drink it! just something you might want to try, it feels harsh at the time but babies are smart and can wrap us round their little fingers so it's good to break habbits early! xx
  • Options
    Ref: Granvera

How sad r some people, that they've got nothing better to do!

Get a life i say!
  • Options
    Granvera
    Is your son 14 years or 14months??? I hope, really hope that you don't mean how it is written and you are joking. Which ever way, that is just wrong!!!
    Get a life!!
  • Options
    Hanna
    I can't really offer any advice as I didn't have a problem. Freya doesn't really care what it is or where it is comming from as long as it fill her tummy. lol
    Regards with giving water I can get Freya to drink 2-3 onz if I put 1/2 onz of fomular in it to flavour it of when she finished her feed just topping up the same bottle with cooled boiled water. Saves on washing up lol.
    Hope this helps.
    Kerry
    X X X
  • Options
    Granvera has been very rude in quite a few forums. The webeditor is trying to chuck them off the site because they are immature, insensitive idiots.
  • Options
    omg!!! 14?????? very wet????? naked????? what on earth!!!! hannah you do what is best for BOTH of you hun a happy mummy is a happy baby and vice versa. xxx
  • Options
    hey han, have u tried heating it up so its very warm? my lo only takes formula very warm *almost hot* my hv says breastmilk comes out very warm so...
    its sort of the temp of tea or coffee at a comfortable temp to drink at...
    :lol: