Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Can I run another idea past you....

Ok so I have looked into the home Beauty Therapist but as I live in a rented house I am not sure I would be able to work from here plus I have just now read a lot of people saying they have tried this and it was very very slow sometimes taking two years to get regular money.

My next idea was so start selling things on a web site I can make, These things would be home made cards and also table plans for weddings. I bought a table plan for ??70 on line which was shocking when I got it and I could have made a better one myself.

My sister makes her own cards and so I thought I could give it a go to see if it's something that works for me and if so maybe try and make a little business out of it and then I can move onto making other things maybe and selling other bits on there. I do some Photography as well as paint and draw so it could be a web site that sells a whole range of things?

What do you girls think? Thanks for reading I am really grateful for any advice and opinions

K xx

Replies

• Options
    I like the idea but would be worried about making enough to get by.

Monique
  • Options
    I could have written this post myself!
    I'm thinking the same thing at the moment - my sister is an established designer and has a lovely website, so i'm looking at going into business with her. I used to paint and make jewellery and i'd like to get back into it for fun as much as anything else, but if i could make a few extra pennies out of it, so much the better.
    This would just be part time though - i don't think i would make nearly enough to get by on, so i'm going to keep going as a childminder as well.
    Good luck with it all!
  • Options
    Thanks girls,

I think for now it would just be to make some extra cash if anything. I know it would take a long time if at all to make this a regular income sort of thing.

Just checked some on line sellers though and they sell cards for ??3 each and the ones my sister makes are so much nicer not be nasty or anything.

I think this is what I am going to do image I am so excited now LOL

k XX
  • Options
    Let me know how you get on!
    Where are you based? You going to just concentrate on the internet side of things, or are you going to try craft fairs and things like that as well?
  • Options
    I am based in Essex hun very near Lakeside Shopping centre.

I am going to try all sorts to be honest I have a really good feeling about this image

K xx
  • Options
    Go for it!
  • Options
    Thanks honey image

K xx
  • Options
    Definitely give it a go! I have raking my brains lately, I would love to be able to bring in a few extra pennies but also do something t okeep my brain ticking but I'm not sure what I could do. I made my cake topper for my wedding, a few of the YAYW girls said I should make them to sell on, but once I got pregnant I completely forgot about it.
    Does Lakeside still do the Farmer's market day? Maybe you could hire a stall and sell your cards there?
    There is a member on here but I can't remember her username, but she has a website and sells her prints so maybe she could give you few tips if your into photography?

Cat xxx
  • Options
    Have you considered an etsy shop as a way to get started? Its really cheap to set up and you have a ready made international market:

etsy.com
  • Options
    Klou I've seen ur photography work on FB and it's fab, ur pics of Rose are wonderful, why don't u do photography instead? You could just baby shots like what you've done of Rose. I reckon if you charged a really reasonable amount like ??50 you'd have mums jumping at it. You could even travel to peoples houses to do it and it would solve your other problem.

Meant in the nicest possible I think you'd make far more money out of photography than cards.

Claire xx

• Options
    Klou I've seen ur photography work on FB and it's fab, ur pics of Rose are wonderful, why don't u do photography instead? You could just baby shots like what you've done of Rose. I reckon if you charged a really reasonable amount like ??50 you'd have mums jumping at it. You could even travel to peoples houses to do it and it would solve your other problem.

Meant in the nicest possible I think you'd make far more money out of photography than cards.

Claire xx

• Options

Claire xx

• Options

Claire xx

• Options
    Hi I've tried making cards before to make a little bit of money, but I found it totally pointless. My nan makes cards and sells them for about ??1 (she could probably sell them for a bit more though!) and barely makes enough to cover the cost of the craft items.
    I think anything crafty to do with weddings would probably make you better money as its something that people do go all out on.

As for the home beauty therapist could you not go mobile and go round to people's houses? I suppose there are only certain things you can do though with that as you can't take everything with you but what about being a mobile nail technician if you do nails? x
  • Options
    Hey girls

Thank you for getting back to me.

Claire - Thank you very much sweetie I don't think I am anywhere good enough to do that I think I am too scared to actually charge people for it though this is something I will look into. I have the camera just need to get the right lighting equipment and so on. I have a friends mate doing some of Rose soon and she is charging ??175 for lots of picture and the CD of them so no prints so you are right I could make some money there image

Kel- I am hoping to make other things than just cards (so she says LOL) I am planning on doing table plans for weddings and maybe invites and favors and other little bits and bobs. I actually have a friend could can make things and she has asked to come in with me. I know it wont make loads but it should be good fun and my sister sells her cards I think it's ??3 a card and she makes a bit of money image

I think the main aim is to try and hit things that we know there is a market for and weddings is the main one I think, if we did it at a cheap price we should get some interest as I know how much people charge when they here the word wedding.

K xx

• Options
    I've just been looking at wedding invitations online and they are sooo expensive so might be worth looking into making them too! x
  • Options
    I will do hun I think there is money to be mad it's shocking what some companies charge.

I am going to look into the taking pics for little babies and families as well I might be able to make that work too image

K xx
  • Options
    Klou I'm not yr friend on FB anymore after u had yr tidy up but a while ago u had some B & W photos of Rose over your hubbies shoulder, was this yr work? If so u certainly are good enough to charge, I looked at those pics and was green with envy having tried so hard to get good shots of George and failing miserably. Getting good baby pics is really hard.

Hope it works out for you .

Claire
    Ps add me back on FB I loved seeing yr photos!
  • Options
    Hi K Lou, I run a small website selling things. I don't make much money, but anything I make is a bonus on top of my normal job. I am on maternity leave from my full time job at the moment, and I have my website closed for the time being, but I hope to open up again after Christmas.

I started off using a free website, as I didn't want to spend any money if it didn't take off. Thankfully it did, and I built my own website using mrsite.com. It's only about ??40 per year for my domain name, and it looks more professional being a .com.

I do have links to other wedding related sites on my site, so I could always post a link to your site once you are up and running.

If I can help in any way, please let me know, I think my email button is activated!

Good Luck