Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Circumcision

2»

Replies

• Options
    Hi we will be getting our son circumcised as my oh is muslim. We will be getting it done privately but the consultant will be doing it at the hospital where he will be born. We were told ??1250 for all the fees at the hospital on the day of the circumcision plus ??250 for the consultation beforehand an then another ??175 for the follow up. They said this price is for having it done with general anaesthetic and it would be ??500 cheaper to have it done with local anaesthetic but the doctor prefers to use general. I'm not really sure I'm happy with my baby being put to sleep when a local can be used, surely the locals more safe? xx

Shmizmar 35+1
  • Options
    HI

just thought would fill in the blanks.
    Icecream lover...its hypospadius. My son has it too. He is 4. I went to BUPA and they said they would never ever do any op on a babies willy unless it was an emergency (or religious) and it needed doing! He said bring him back one he is past 5 yrs and they will look at it again. They said its much safer to give an older child GA than a younger child.

Can see the point BUT I can see your valid reasons for doing it earlier. I would get a 2nd opinion too and take it from there.

Shmismar...wow..thats expensive!!!!!!!!

d x
  • Options
    thanks for that dee dee! I couldnt remember the name and was rushing to get sorted before work image
    Ollie has already had general ana once for his tonsilectomy, adenoidectomy and gromits. :\( He was up and running about 30 mins after he came back from recovery! image Daft lad.

the thing is the GP and HV all agree with the Consultant that it needs doing, the GP and HV are supportive of me saying it should be done sooner so he doesnt remember the pain or fiddle as much (god knows he already plays with it enough now as it is regardless of how much i tell him it will fall off!) its just the consultant - who has even agreed it needs doing - that doesnt want to do it yet, he wants to wait until Ollie is in primary school! image At that age he will feel every bit of the pain and I cant imagine how much it will hurt him :cry: (and it will mean time off school... Grr)

xx
  • Options
    Magic5 said:
    Hi Ladies,I haven't been on here for ages! My twins are 8 months now and I'm thinking about getting one of them circumcised. His foreskin is very tight and small,and I think it's restricting the growth of his willy too,you can feel it in his groin. Both the Dr and HV have said to leave it until he's a lot older as he *may* grow out of it and currently has no urine problems. However I've spoken to several people now who all were told the same thing and ended up having it done at around age 6,which is obviously more traumatic.

Has anyone had any experience of having a baby circumcised? And any rough ideas as to price as we'll have to go private obviously.

Thank you!!

I am a mother of 3 boys, in which I had each one circumcised shortly after birth. They are aged 12, 14 & 16. I am a strong advocate and supporter of male circumcision with my friends, as well as in parenting communities. I grew up (like most American's) in a circumcised culture, where it was unusual for boys not to be circumcised. As a matter of fact I never saw an uncircumcised penis until I was 16. My two brothers are circumcised, my father is circumcised, grandfather, and uncles are all circumcised. I personally do not know of a single male family member that is not circumcised. When my sister had her first son, and I saw his circumcised penis I knew right away that she had him circumcised with the gomco clamp method. It was done so perfectly, and with the entire foreskin removed and the circumcision scar about right in the middle of his shaft (which despite it's small size, was completely visible) that I told her if I have any boys that I would like to use the same doctor. So when I became preg with my first son, I was able to have a meeting with the doctor ahead of time to go over the procedure with her. She was very nice, and helpful and explained to me exactly how the gomco method is done. I mentioned to her that it was very important to me that my son have his entire foreskin removed because I think it looks the best that way. She replied with "Oh, you mean you want his penis circumcised high & tight?" in which I replied "Oh Yes, will that be something you can do?"  And I was glad to hear her respond with "Absolutely, as a matter of fact that is the only way that I circumcise boys" She told me not to worry as she had performed over 3,000 male circumcisions and had a reputation in the parenting community as being "The Best In The City".

So, when my son arrived and I took him for his circumcision.... it went perfectly. Just as my sister's son, he was circumcised "High & Tight" style with his circumcision scar half way down the shaft, lots of area between the the scar line and the base of the head. As he grew over the months, and his penis grew the "High & Tight"  style of his circumcision became more and more prominent. All of my female friends who saw it instantly said they would be using the same doctor if they had a boy. Two years later, my second son came and again a perfect "High & Tight" circumcision from the same doctor. When I had my 3rd son (my 12 year old) , again back to the same doctor....however this time for whatever reason his circumcision turned out "Ultra High & Tight" with his circumcision scar more than half way down his shaft. As he grew over the first couple of years it became more and more obvious that he was cut 3/4 way down the entire length of his shaft. So out of my 3 boys, he was cut the farthest down his shaft, but all turned out just perfect!