Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Little Maggot!!

Hi
I'm new to this but need some advice.....Am still swaddling my 20 week old lovely daughter who looks like a little maggot upstairs in her cot!! She sleeps so soundly 'til about 4 when she wakes for a bit of breast then back down 'til about 7.30. I am trying to wean her off the swaddling by leaving 1 arm out but she got really upset last night at about 10.30 because she woke & her arm was off moving around & she found it hard to control.
When she was born the pediatrician came to look at her because she had such a big moro reflex, but said she was fine, just a bit fussy. Dr Karp has been my hero with how to cope & Mae loves both swaddling and white noise - (do any of you use white noise?!) & he says its ok to use swaddling up to 8-12 months but I worry that I'm making her only able to sleep that way or having an effect on her motor skills.
I think our job is now to worry about everything!! What do you think ?
LOL KX

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun, i thought you wenrt supposed to swaddle after 8 weeks??? Not really sure why or for what reason. I never swaddled Ellie as she hated her arms held down and even now she has to have them waving about at all times. Sorry i cant be more help.
    Welcome to the site, its great on here and the ladies are lovely and will help all they can. x
  • Options
    Have you tried putting her into a sleeping bag? I know it's not as snug as a swaddling blanket, but at least she will be in a contained sleeping space as opposed to just blankets. I can't really help on weaning a lo off a swaddling blanket from experience, as Morgana hated being swaddled, she moves like mad at night.
  • Options
    I swaddled Joe (now 3) at naptime til he started to fight his own way out of the blanket. We put him into a sleeping bag at bedtime from 12 weeks once he went into his own bedroom. I think as long as baby's happy, you're fine to keep swaddling. She'll fight her way out when she's had enough of being hemmed in.
  • Options
    hi, i've got exactly the same problem, evie has to be swaddled to sleep and she's now 5month. she too cant seem to control her arms if they're out, she ends up whacking the cot bars or her face! we're going to start weaning her off it also as i can't exactly be swaddling my 1year old! lol. what i've tried a few times is to get her off to sleep swaddled, then once she's sound, i un-do it and let her arms free. she stays asleep, the only problem is when she wakes to feed she need to be re-swaddled to get back to sleep. if i figure it out and find a way i will let you know!!!