Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

being a mum and doing shift work

Hi Guys

Not sure if there are any mums on this forum that do shift work, but am really considering a career change and would like to go into a nursing profession.

I would have to return to studying but it would be on a shift basis as you work the same shifts as your mentor. I currently work in an office doing mangement accounts, but I really do not enjoy it. I never wanted to do office work when I left school and always wanted to go into midwifery, nursing or teaching. However, I also wanted to travel and needed money so got a job, saved and did my travelling and before I knew it 10 years had passed and I hadn't left the office work.

Anyway, since having my LO and seeing how fast he is growing it has made me realise how precious life is and that if I really want to do something I shold go for it. Being a mum has also increased my confidence considerably and I now think mentally I am much more ready to go into nursing.

I have to work as we cannot afford for me not to, so really want to do something where I actaully look forward to going to work.

Anyway, as we would like more children in the near future that is also something I need to consider.

How do you manage with childcare and is it very hard to fit being a mum and doing the shifts. Im sure plenty or mums out there do it everyday, but would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks
Rebecca:\)

Replies

• Options
    Hi Rebecca, I work shifts (im a theatre nurse) its not as bad as though it would be but you do get tired easily. I do 3 8-8 shifts and do other hours to make it upto full times
    hours. Its a case of being very organised ,needless to say a filofaxa is a good idea. Luckily my mum looks after matt until my oh get in.
    Most uni do nursing courses part time and placements can be very flexible. Drop us a msg if you want any further info .laura x
  • Options
    Hi Rebecca, i'm also a staff nurse {on a childrens ward}. Shift work can be hard n the support of a good partner is needed. I love my job n shall be returning in May on 20hrs { one shift 07.30 til 20.30 n another 07.30 til 15.30}. I recently qualified n managed shift work n family. you just need to be super organised n committed. Good luck. Al x
  • Options
    hi i am a psych nurse and i actually prefer shift work. its easier for childcare for us as i can work weekends and this also saves us childcare money. a diary is required and flexible childcare sometimes but we manage fine and i work full time too x
  • Options
    Hi ya, Im also a staff nurse, I qualified sept 06 but due to the shortage of jobs only got 24 hours so I do 2 12 hour shifts a week. I will be returning to work in July and plan to have my mum and MIL share the childcare. There were mums with young children on my course and they seemed to manage fine witht he shifts and childcare, some either left a shift early or did short 8 hour shifts instead of the 12 hours shifts. Most placements and mentors are very good and acommodating. Good luck. xxxx

[Modified by: Gemgem82 on January 30, 2008 03:10 PM]