Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

sleeping on mummy

my son is 5 days old and i struggle to put him down to sleep because he screams, i dont want to make it so that he will only sleep on me, but i dont want to make him scream, help!!!!!:\?

Replies

• Options
    Oh don't worry hun I know its hard but he's only 5 days old so I don't think he's gonna develop any bad habits yet.
    My lo would only ever fall asleep when my oh was holding him (which made me feel like a total failure) then he only ever fell asleep if was breast feeding him, now he's 8 months old and he usually goes to bed awake and settles himself to sleep so I don't think any of our early bad habits have had any lasting effects.
    Just enjoy holding him cos I reckon before you know it he'll be too big for cuddles off his mummy and he'll just want to play with his toys.
    xxxxxxxx
  • Options
    i dont think anyones ever too old for a cuddl with their mum!
    my lo is nearly 6 weeks and sometimes wont settle at night unless hes in my bed. hes FINALLY settled now (touch wood) but i dont wanna risk more screamin tonight so i wont be tryin to put him in the moses basket tonight.
    i think its fine to let the baby fall asleep on you at 5 days old. if it gives you a peaceful night then do it!

when you want to put him down maybe dont be quite as gentle. some babies will wake u if your too gentle!
  • Options
    My lo has always been rocked or held unti lhe drifts off & then put in his crib but since 10 weeks (last week) I have started to put him down before sleep & then just rub his belly or rock him in his bed till he sleeps. Eventually I will just put him down & leave the room but for me I don't want to force him & liked holding him after a feed & feel him faling aleep on me, all safe & warm.

So dn't be too concerned this soon that he isn't doing what other babies do, just enjoy having this time & closeness, you can start routines later on.
  • Options
    thanks everyone that makes me feel better, my emotions seem to be all over at the mo, i love to hold him and want him to be happy, so am gonna just chill for now, thank you all soooooo much
  • Options
    Hi Nic,

Ive had the same prob with my LO, now 3 days old and i know how u feel about ur emotions being all over the place. I wanted to cry when she woudnt settle the first night as i felt like a failure that she wasnt happy- but ive reaslised it takes a while to get them into a routine and u just have to really work hard at it. I dont think we are doing anything wrong in letting them sleep on us at this young age because it must be very unsettling for them just coming out of the womb and being placed on their own in a moses basket. They like to feel and hear our heartbeat and im just going to take one day at a time and slowly get them into a better established routine over time. I hope ur ok other than that anyway... we are in the same boat here so if u ever wanna chat im here
    Hannah xx
  • Options
    thanks hannah, cant believe it has been a week since i was in labour, a week at 1.18am since i had him, it has past soooo fast, am takin one day at a time too trying to enjoy every minute because it is passing so fast!!!! hope things are well with you, nic xx
  • Options
    at that age they still getting used to being in the big wide world. imagine the only person you know leaving you all alone like that! poor baby!! ok, a bit ott but they do need comfort alot, my lo slept on us or in his rocker til we went up to bed til he was 8 weeks, still does sumtimes!!
  • Options
    Just to reassure you, I had to hold Lily for hours at a time during the night when she was newborn, but when she got to four or five weeks she started sleeping in her crib and didn't really need holding anymore. If it gives you some peace and a chance to rest then just go with it!
  • Options
    Freddie used to sleep on me too, until he got used to the big wide world. he won't sleep on me now at all & i really miss it (he's 15 months). enjoy it while you can. lots of cuddles & holding helps for a happy, contented, loving baby
  • Options
    This is such a common thing, honestly. I'm sure most new mums worry about this at some stage. My son, who is now 7 weeks, wouldn't be put down for even an hour when he was first born. I was so worried and tore myself up about it. But my mum gave me some great advice.. just let him be the boss for a while.. and I did. If he wanted to cuddle and fall asleep on me for the whole night, I let him. If he wanted me to pace with him, I did it. And do you know what, after just two weeks, he changed his routine all by himself and now he will go down awake in the day and self settle. At night, he falls asleep on the bottle and goes in his crib, for up to 4 hours between feeds.

Babies need closeness and comfort in the early weeks. They have to come to terms with the fact they are no longer inside of you. And so do you. Just stay in your PJs and cuddle your baby. Keep hin close to your chest, let him hear your hearbeat. Soon enough, just like my son, your baby will WANT to be put down to sleep and you will miss the days when all you did was sit and cuddle.

Don't put any pressure on yourself. Get family and friends to help with housework and daily chores. And most of all, enjoy your baby.