Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Homestart

Hello ladies

Well I have finally got homestart coming once a week (its took from October to get it sorted) and the lady is really nice. However, I dont know what to do with her now she is here, at the moment it doesnt seem to help at all, because i end up rushing round like a blue arsed fly to get the house spotless before she arrives then have nothing to do when she get here other than make her coffee!! We have been out for walks and stuff but thats nothing that i dont do on my own anyway.

My question is do any of you have homestart and if so what do you do with them?

Thank you, Sarah xx

:\?

Replies

• Options
    Swimming? I don't imagine you can do that on your own with 2....?
  • Options
    I have 3 under 2 else i would love to go swimming but thanks for the thought.

Yeah Katie they come and help you, and she offered to do the washing up but it was only bottles and i prefer to do them myself so i know they are clean. I said to her that i was going to ask on here and she said well she could always take the twins out for a walk so i can get on with ironing or something, but she wont take all 3 which kind of defeats the object as its the other lo that occupies most of my time, but it seems she only "likes" the babies so wouldnt take Caitlin on her own because she walks not goes in the pushchair, i just dont know what to do.

Another girl i know has them and she said she goes upstairs and does the ironing, tidies the kids bedrooms etc, but we live in a flat so lo just comes into me if i do that.
  • Options
    sounds a bit useless in my opinion!
    i'm not farmiliar with homestart so do you pay them? has she got a superviser you can speak to because it's kind of defeating the purpose if she isn't actually helping you when she is there!!

my suggestion would be getting her to get the LO's (all 3) ready if they aren't already and getting her to wash up and do some ironing for you. not much of a help but hope you get sorted! xx
  • Options
    If she is coming to help you, she shouldn't be picking and choosing her jobs surely? Why won't she take your eldest out?
  • Options
    She is a volunteer, she comes once a week for 2-3 hours. She brings chocolate for caitlin every week and as she is giving her it says is it ok for her to have this? uh too late now!!

We live right next door to the park so i might get her to take the three of them over there next week so caitlin can play on the slide and the twins just sit in the pram anyway then i can do the ironing. But thats if she will take all 3!! I know its hard with the 3 but its not like the twins do anything but sit there lol.

Sorry to whinge x
  • Options
    Hiya, I work at a children's centre and am a family support worker, we also have dealings with homestart. From what im aware they are there to offer support and help but not to do things like housework, etc... Some of the families i referred to HS have used their volunteer to keep an eye on their children so they can take a bath, take them with them shoping to take the pressure off having to do a shop and look after the kids, or just someone to have a coffee and chat with. Overall they are there to offer some support to you. Hope this helps a little.xx
  • Options
    Oh how i'd love that bit of help during the day when oh is at work and i only have two so can't imagine how hard it is for you.

Surely she should do anything that helps make your day easier and that would be to take your eldest with her and not just the youngest two. Personally, i wouldn't trust anyone but myself and close family taking my kids out of my sight but thats just me and my stupid protective ways.

Hope things sort out better for you hun

Lisa xxx
  • Options
    proud mum of 2 you could apply to them too you have to have more than two children one of which being under 5!

Thanks for the help ladies, funkymonkey, i have to say she is really nice and its nice just to have someone to talk to somedays, I dont want her to do the housework, i want to be able to get on with it knowing that she is playing with the kids but we dont seem to be able to get the happy medium at the moment, maybe it will come when we know eachother a bit better, i mean she has only been twice lol x
  • Options
    Hi Sarahncraig!
    Just to give you view from the other side because ive just started as a Homestart Volunteer! The one thing im keen to do with "my family" is to make sure the mum is getting out of it what she needs and I asked her if she wanted me to do anything else to say to me. It is hard at first though establishing the realtionship between you both and knowing whats ok and not ok if you know what I mean! It might just be shes got to build her confidence before she takes all 3 of your little cherubs, but im sure she will in time.
    Hope it works out for you all because it can be very rewarding all round if things work out well.
    xx