Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

stopping breastfeeding/expressing

Hi There
I am hoping that someone out there can ofer me some help, as expressing milk is starting to get me down!
My baby is 12 days old, and has only ever latched on once, so I decided to express milk for him every 4 hours or so. He takes it from bottles.
This has cased me to be a bit tired, as it seems I am p in the night to express at a different time to his waking pattern - and one of my breasts is a bit tender. Sometimes I only get very lieelt milk from it, which gets me down. I think my only option now - for my sanity, is to stop expressing and move on to formula.
Please can someone advise me - is it advisable to just stop expressing, or do I need to space it ot more to eventually give up. Please help.
Thanks,
Tina

Replies

• Options
    If you just suddenly stop then you may become engorged for a few days which is painfull it is probably best to reduce the amount you express gradually.
  • Options
    Hi i would just stop,i did it gradually & it took ages for milk to dry up & you still end up with engorged boobs when you do eventually stop,Good luck have some savoy cabbage in the fridge just in case boobs get really sore xo
  • Options
    hi tina why has he only latched on once ??have you tried him back at the breast?i know its difficult as baby is learning and so are you so can your hv help or at least put you in touch with a breast feeding councilor. abby is 9 weeks tomorrow and we are only just getting it right but its worth it to see her wee full face looking up at me
    fea x