Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How long does your LO feed for?

Ava is 1 week old today and only feeds for between 5-10 mins at a time. She has loads of wet nappies and sleeps for a couple of hours at a time in the day and around an hour and a half in the night. I feel if she fed for longer she would sleep for longer in the night. My midwife says she is getting what she needs but I just think this time feeding is not long enough

Replies

• Options
    hi i remeber when i was in hospital with ds (i went back to birth centre at 10days for breastfeeding help) and he did alot of 5-10minutes feeds the mws recommended i hold him off for five to 10 miutes (but not so he got very distressed) to increase the feed time, i think 5-10minute feeds wld pretty much be mostly the foremilk, so essentially shes not getting any of the filling hindmilk. i haled him back for 5/10minutes and he then fed for 45minutes!!!! amazing, he seemed so much more settled after that too, and from hten on most of his feeds were around 20-30minutes long, which i 'think' is the guideline for feedingtimes but obviously don't take my word for it because i am not an expert, but i wld say if u can get in touch with a breastfeeding supporter for some advice (i found these much more helpful than normal mws when it comes to bfeeding) there is the brastfeeding helpline, or la leche, but ideally i wld ask ur mw if there is such a perosn in ur local area. hth xx
  • Options
    My lo has only ever fed for 10minutes at a time , some babies are very efficient feeders, i'd say if she's getting plenty of wet nappies and is gaining weight then you're doing alright but if you're still not happy then as Siany says, see if you can get some more advice xx
  • Options
    Hi

Babies do vary if your lo is happy and settled you are doing a good job! Holding off for a few mins may help you find out their habits - my first was a 20 min feeder every three hrs but my second was a 'dipper' 5-10mins every hr or so - drove me mad but she's just as healthy.

Your local surestart centre may have a br feeding support group for more ideas
  • Options
    I wasnt sure when my lo was feeding or sleeping at that age - it all morphed into one! xxx

As she got older she would take 45 mins....now at 4 months she is on and off in 4 mins!! xxx