Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

He's got teeth, ouch!!!

Hi

Have any of your breastfed babies got teeth yet? Max's bottom 2 teeth came up together but didn't cause any problems when feeding. His top 2 have now both decided to put in an appearance. It hurts.!!!I'm now dreaded every feed as I know he'll scratch, or worse, bite me!! I've been trying for months to get him to take the bottle or the beaker but he's having none of it. I'm getting desperate now. I need him off the boob!! Been told to try a Doidy cup. Has anyone used this and will it help? Max is just over 6 months.

Replies

• Options
    hi. My son is 10 months now and still breast fed. He has 4 teeth. They came through around 7/8 months. He's only bit me twice. When he did I just said no and moved the boob away. He got the message straight away. 2nd atempt was a half bite like can I? Then he decided not to lol. I've never used whatever it was you were asking about (sorry) Dont be put off and nervous thinking he's going to bite because he'll know somethings up and then both of you won't be comfortable and its suppost to be a nice bonding time too. Try the move away with a stern (ish) face.

If it helps a midwife told me to tell my lo off. But it wasn't needed really. Don't give up, they just love to bite at this age and what better than their favourite thing:lol:
  • Options
    Breastfeeding with teeth is perfectly doable. I fed my son for 25 months so you can imagine how many teeth he had by the time we finished. What i would suggest is watching out for lazy latches and for signs he might show pre biting. I used to find my son would nip as he was falling asleep or when the letdown had finished or if he was full and he used to give me that 'look' so i just took him off and said 'no biting' and he soon stopped. It is a phase and it will pass, stick with it and I am sure you will come out the other side. Having teeth does not mean the end of a breastfeeding relationship. If they are teething it might be useful to express some milk and make 'icelollies' using yogurt pots and lolly sticks so he can still get some milk and it will be soothing on his gums. There are plenty of different ways to get bm into your child - just be inventiveimage Ice lollies, using a cup, using a spoon, using a medicine syringe etc etc. Some bf babies dont like bottles so using alternative methods can be a lifesaver!
  • Options
    when freya first got her first 2 teeth she bit me twice. i said no with a stern face and put her down on the floor and she hasnt done it again. they just like to try it to see if they can get away with it, just let him know that you dont like it and if he doesnt stop then he wont get any more, he should get the message. xx
  • Options
    grace is 8 mths and has her bottom 2 teeth,top ones are almost thru.She bit me once when herf teeth 1st came thru and i said ow so loudly that it scared her and she got so upset and hasnt done it again apart frm if being lazy whilst coming off shes occasionally nipped me then!i heard that if they bite then push them into your breast and they will let go xxx
  • Options
    Hi my lo is nearly 9 months and he now has 6 teeth. He got his bottom 2 at 4months then the top 4 at around 7months and i found that he would only nip me if it was near the end of a feed losing interest or if he was getting sleepy. I cant really explain it well but i can now almost tell if he is about to bite me, when his feeding has slowed down i can sometimes feel his jaw tense up just before he does it. I think i did the telling off wrong somehow as he is a cheeky monkey and just smiles when i say no, so i try the other method and push him into my boob which works xx