Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Just doesnt feed for long enough!

hi Girls, really hoping someone will be able to help as i really dont know what to do next.

Im really trying to persit with BF but Jacob just looses interest after about 10 minutes and drops off to sleep.... I have tried changing his nappy, striping him down to skin to skin, top and tail him tickling him, nothing works!!!

Im really concerned as he has lost just over 10% and so far today he has only had 15 minutes feeding!!

Any help would be gratfully appreciated!

xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi, how often are you feeding him and is this on demand?
    Lj x
  • Options
    hi steph,
    is your baby crying for feeds? how often is he feeding? 10 mins may be enough for him in one go as babies tummies are tiny. how old is he?
    on average, he should be feeding 8-12x a day at least in the early days. have you tried waking him for feeds?
    sorry for all the q's!
    xx
  • Options
    His 9 days old... he usually wakes for feeds but isnt today.... im (trying) to wake him every 3 hours xx
  • Options
    ah ok Steph. i would say at this stage, keep waking him if he sleeps more then 3 hours int he day and 5 hours at night as he needs to keep his blood sugar levels steady. ideally he should (but not always!) be back at birth weight by 3 weeks old so dont worry yet. if he feeds for 10 mins then falls asleep, try putting him down in basket/cot. then if he wakes again soon after, put him back on the boob he has just had, to make sure he gets all the hind milk. if you swap boobs too soon, he will only get fore milk which means he wont gain weight as this is the watery drink part of the feed.
    At this stage though hun, its so early his patterns will change- i cant imagine he will starve himself- is he sleeping well and happy in himself?
    just keep doing what you are already, dont get coerced into doing anything you dont want to, your instincts will tell you what's best. any other q's just ask!
    hth Naomi x
  • Options
    Hi steph,

I had the same problem with Isla when I first started b'feeding and she just naturally now wants more and tends to feed for longer. One thing to make sure of is that he's having at least 2 pooey nappies a day and wet ones in between as this means he's definately getting something!
    Dont worry too much though-when are you next due to have him weighed? If he's 9 days now youll be signed over the HV usually around day 10 so you could always ask her advice too.

Hope you're getting on ok hun!
    Sarah.xx