Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

need to boost supply

i hope some of you lovely ladies can help me! my baby is 3 weeks old yesterday and suddenly yesterday my milk seems to of decreased. We have been up most of the night feeding but he is hungry and wouldn't settle, he's the same today he's tired through being up but is only dozing then is wanting fed and doesn't seem to be getting much. we were doing fine till now as he was 9lb 5 at birth and he lost a fair bit the first few days but has now regained his weight and health visitor was happy with that.
Has anyone any suggestions for boosting my supply?

Replies

• Options
    This haooened to me.
    My baby was 8lb 5 born. She lost some but is now only 9lb 13oz at 9 weeks,
    I asked my health visitor and she suggested Fenugreek which I bought in Holland and Barrett and Fennel tea. Only been taking them for 2 days so not sure if it's helping yet.
    The lady in holland and barret was really helpful and got a big book out with all remedys etc. Apparently rasberry leaf helps too so if you have any left over from pregnancy then try that as well!
    Good luck
    xx
  • Options
    Is he cluster feeding? it couldbe that he is in a growth spurt so his demand has increased but supply hasnt caught up yet. this did happen to me between 2-4 weeks every few days he would feed insatiably for 2 days then level out. if this could be it keep doing what your doing and take plenty of water on board xx
  • Options
    he has been cluster feeding since he was born but normally if he hasn't fed for a wee while my breasts fill up bt last 2 days they feel empty and he is having to work hard to get milk. i am letting him feed on demand so surely that will help and i've made extra effort to eat and drink plenty today so i'll see if that helps. i'm going into town tomorrow so i'll see if i can get any of that fenugreek stuff.
  • Options
    Sounds really obvious but.are you drinking tons and tons of fluids?

Also my midwife recommended bananas!
  • Options
    I had a very low milk supply and have tried practically everything! The best thing that works is letting baby just feed and feed when they want, knackering I know but he will settle down.
    A few other things I try to do to help are having porridge and banana for breakfast and drinking lots of water, seriously have a bottle of water with you at all times and sip it constantly. Also I found if I pumped a few times a day I noticed a increase, but I hate pumping so I didn't do it very often.

Cat xxx
  • Options
    i have started having porridge and trying to drink plenty and also tried pumping yesterday i'm hoping it will help, was up most of night again feeding and he still seems hungry tho i do think he is greedy so that is part of the problem that he is feeding till he's sick therefore wasting milk!
  • Options
    yep fenugreek tablets and also nettle tea is meant to be good. x