Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

No fluids on breast milk

My lo is 8 months and will not drink from a bottle or beaker( have tried 3 different teats and 3 different beakers) Have tried offering formula milk, breast milk, water and juice in them. I still breast feed morning night and evening. I'm worried about the amount of fluid she takes with her soild meals. Should i be worried? any suggestion on getting her to take a cup/beaker/bottle?

Replies

• Options
    Have you tried an open cup? Millie never really got on with any sort of beaker but was quite happy to drink small amounts of water from an open cup. If you can get one a Doidy cup, which is slightly slanted, can be easier for them. Personally I wouldn't bother trying to get her to take a bottle at her age as it will just be one more thing to wean her off!! As long as you are still gettin plenty of wet nappies she is getting enough fluid so try not to worry too much.
  • Options
    i think she should be having something else during the day but i agree not to start useing bottles now as it will be another thing to get rid of. i would definatly try using a normal cup. even if she spills it over her self she will get a bit and she will learn eventually. even bottle fed babies have trouble with beakers some can be really hard to drink from. the other thing is to try a straw, another mum on her did that with her l/o at a young age. i wouldnt stress about it i would just offer her something regualrly and im sure some thing will work eventually
  • Options
    hi i didnt bfeed (but am hoping to this time), but as siandonna said, even bottle fed babies can have trouble with beakers, mine did. she would just bite the spout and couldnt get the hang of sucking out of it. i agree totally about the bottle thing , my girl is 3 and has just not long been off one would you believe! (this is a comforter for her as she never had a dummy and very hard to take away.)

anyway tommee tippee do a cup that is like a normal cup, but it has a lid that curves inside the cup slightly with a hole about the size of a 5p near the rim to let juice, milk or whatever out. so they are really drinking out an adult cup but they cant majorly spill it becasue of this lid. im sorry i dont know the name of it, but its def tommee tippee and i got it from health visitor (it comes with a spout aswell). i am gonna look on their site and see if i can see it and ill paste link if i find it.

FOUND IT...

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/easiflow_open_cup_trainer_12_months_/

[Modified by: lauragcam on February 25, 2008 05:17 PM]

• Options
    I think you can get a Doidy cup from the NCT catalogue. My 11 month won't drink from a beaker or anything else either but took some expressed milk from a Doidy cup whilst also refusing to breastfeed.
    Some babies just refuse milk so as long as she is getting it in cereal, sauces, rice pudding etc I would try not to worry too much x
  • Options
    Hi My lo is 8 months old too and I have just brought her some cups to try she still breastfeeds thoughout the day so am not too worried about her fluid intake at the mo.

It can be difficult to get them used to a cup so I am just giving her it a meal times and when she puts it to her mouth I have been giving her loads of praise and claps etc which she loves.As she is having her breast milk still I have just been giving her water.
    Its a daunting prospect thinking about ever weaning her off the breast as she just loves it- but I thought the same with my son who used to just love his bottles - it is possible it just takes time.

I would try cups that are NOT non -spill as they are easier at first.
    I will try one of those doidy cups if I have no luck with the cups I got from boots.I have put a http://www.bickiepegs.co.uk/acatalog/link to a site you can buy them from.

[Modified by: melanie M on February 25, 2008 07:53 PM]

• Options
    You can get the doidy cups quite easily on Ebay as well, I think when I bought mine that Ebay worked out cheapest.
  • Options
    other option is sports bottles there relly easy to use but make sure you check that when you pull the top thing up it stays up. l/o might be a bit young to keep pulling it up
  • Options
    The solution I found to keeping the liquid intake up was soup. My 8m insists on feeding himself if it's finger food or will stick on the spoon, but he lets someone else feed him if it's soup. His favorite is the covent garden maroccan chickpea which has lots of apricots and spinach in it ( I have the receipe and make it without stock cos the salt level in their products is quite high). Obviously this might make matters worse if you're lo is in the 'me do it' brigade but worth a thought?
  • Options
    Hi Daska

That is a good idea about the soup- that chicken soup sounds nice. Can I be cheeky and ask for the recipe its sounds yummy.My little girl is the same and wants to feed herself with everything.
    Just cooked her a courgette and tomato pasta sauce with pasta twirls and she just sucked all the sauce off and didn't eat the pasta !!!
  • Options
    Thankyou to you all i really am greatful for your help