Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Do you think I have mastistis? Update....

I suspose this in connection with my other 2 posts (feeling drained and prefering one breast to the other) but wondering if I have mastistis as not only am I feeling very drained, no energy and slightly achy, I also have a large lump on one side of my breast which doesn't go away after lo feeds or if I express. In addition, my breast is sore during and after feeding, and was very sore expressing last night, plus I have also had a shooting pain in my breast and feel I was to rub it to ease the pain. It doesn't look red or inflamed and I don't really have a fever but did have one last Wednesday.

Ive tried massaging my breast but doesn't seem to help. Im going to phone the doctors tomorrow, but do you think this is mastitis or just a blocked milk duct (or are they the same thing)?

Thank you for your replies ladies, well the doc has confirmed I have mastitis cry... and given me a course of antibotics. He said it was infected cos my breast was red and commented the lump was quite large. Lets hope it works. Thanks for your help again.

[Modified by: sevans on 20 April 2009 09:39:38 ]

Replies

• Options
    It sounds like it could well be mastitis. Mastitis is slightly different from a blocked duct as it is an infection, but it is often caused by a blocked duct. I would speak to the doctor tommorrow but in the mean time there are a few things you can try that might help. Massage in the bath or shower may work better as the warm water can help. If you can try and feed lo in a position that means her chin is against the sore bit, this will mean that when she feeds her jaw will massage it for you which can work better than you trying to do it. Paracetamol will help with the aches and possible temperature and is safe to take. The good news is that normally mastitis clears up REALLY quickly with antibiotics, but make sure you finish the course if doc prescribes them, as it can recur if you don't get rid of it properly, something I only found out when I had it for the second time in 2 weeks :roll:
    xx
  • Options
    Sounds like it could be, I've had it twice and felt 'bruised' more than anything else. I didn't get the fluey symptoms at all the first time, but the second time felt generally unwell, as you've described. Definitely go to the docs, like Bedhead said the antibiotics work really quickly - think we try not to make a fuss sometimes but with mastitis it's definitely not worth it! In the meantime try to keep feeding from that side. Hope you feel better soon x