Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Sore nipple

My baby Paige is 8 mths old and the past 3 days i've had a really sore left nipple while she is feeding and now it is kind of stinging all the time, even between feeds.

This is probably tmi but on my left nipple there is a spot on the end of the nipple slightly to the right that is about the size of a match head and it is white. It kind of looks like if it was on my chin it could be a pimple, lol.

I assume it's not affecting my milk flow as Paige has been feeding as normal but it's getting more sore each day. I started using paw-paw ointment on it this morning after each feed but it hasn't improved any yet.

Has anyone else had something similar? or am i just a bit abnormal at the moment, lol.

Shell

Replies

• Options
    I had this, it started off with a stingy pain, then got worse to the point where Id wake up in pain. I went to the doctors and got antibiotics. They also gave me Kamillosan Chamomile cream to soothe area.

If I were you I'd go to the doctors just to be on the safe side.

x x x
  • Options
    Hi there

I had EXACTLY what you are describing happen to me a few months ago - if you want to see the advise I got then go here:
    http://www.babyexpert.com/chatroom/topic/29307

It was basically a blocked 'sprayer' - the hole on your nipple the milk comes out of (no idea what it is called!) It took my little boy over 48 hours of ordinary feeding (he was 5 months and exclusively breastfed so feeding a good few times a day still) to unblock it and with a choke as whatever came out but that was that. SO other than keeping feeding I don't know what to suggest!
  • Options
    Thanks girls, i kind of thought that it might be a blockage at the end instead of the ducts inside (no hard lumps or anything).

I keep waiting for Paige to cough and spit out a big glob of something gross, lol.

If it's still there on Monday i'll see the doc or if it gets worse with any real pain i'll go to emergency just in case. Since i can't get Paige to take a bottle at all yet i can't afford to not be able to feed her properly.

Thanks again for not making me feel like a wierdo, lol.

Shell
  • Options
    hi hun if the pain goes into the breast rather than just the nipple u may have thrush in it. its horrid everytime i have antibiotics baby gets thrush in mouth n then i get it in boob. either way might be worth gettin it checked out being in pain whilst feeding is awful