Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Losing weight

After visitin health visitor thinking we'd had a good week My 5wk old has lost 11oz in 2 weeks despite being on the breast nearly every 2hrs some times upto 1.1/2 hrs i'm having to give her formula @ some feeds gutted as i really wanted to bf full time.
confused as to how much i should be giving her?
I think she gulps formula far 2fast & gives herself wind
Gutted i feel like i've lost the bonding between usimage

Replies

• Options
    aaw Lisa, i feel for you. i did this with my first dd as at 10 weeks she wasnt putting on much. i just fed her from me first and then topped her up with formula and gave her as much as she wanted. eventually she weaned herself off the breast and i gave her ff all the time.
    dont beat yourself up, you have done amazing already and it doesnt mean the end of bf, it will always be something special you have done for her.
    good luck x
  • Options
    Thanks for that.. I really appreciate that. She's fussing over even feeding from the breast now. i'm gonna have to go straight to formula as she's just not even interested now. gutted but i guess it's 4 the best. i'll still keep trying her on the breast but if she's messing about then i'll have to give it up as a bad job..All u who manage to go months really do deserve a medal. well done ladies x
  • Options
    Just coming to this late sorry but my lo had a similar thing at around 6 weeks but I just didn't feel that it was the right choice as she seemed happy enough feeding off me even though was every 2 hours and for an hour at a time. About 2 weeks later she settled into her own routine and at 18 weeks I only give her the odd ff to top her up now. Anyway, how about you express and feed lo that way most the time with a ff in the evening when she's going to bed?
  • Options
    I can't risk her losing anymore weight, i,ve had to introduce a couple of FF as she s just tiring herself & me out, sometimes i'm still @it 3hrs l8r, I'm no good a expressing i can only seem to get 2-3 oz at a time. she seems more content now she's on the forrmula & sleeping better at nap times.. which i guess suits us both, thanks 4 that tho