Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breast and bottle??

Hi ladies I'm sure this has been posted loads of times before but just wanted some advise. Baby Theo is 7 days old now and I had been breastfeeding him but I just found the pressure too much. I felt like I was constantly on alert for his next feed and couldnt relax or sleep properly, so as much as I loved breastfeeding him I expressed last night and he had a bottle. He was quite happy with it but when I spoke to the midwife this morning she said I shouldnt do both as he'll get "nipple confusion" and play up when I try to latch him on as breast feeding is harder work for him. Is this true? I love feeding him myself but I need to sleep and my hubby is feeling a bit left out, he was so happy last night when I let him give him a bottle. Am I being a terrible mum and confusing him??
xxx

Replies

• Options
    your not being a terrible mum! I gave my lo a dummy before the recommended 4 weeks as i was particulary finding the nights hard work once oh went back to work and i couldn't nap during the day. (my lo has only settled in her moses basket/cot at night) i tried expressing so my oh could do a feed but got so little it didn't work!

as long as your lo is still happy to latch on to you i wouldn't worry about giving them a bottle - some people combine breast and formula feeding from early on I think!

are you using bottled that are designed for combining feeds?
  • Options
    Hi, I wouldn't worry too much...my LO preferred the breast to having it from a bottle as my milk flow was actually faster than the bottle! image
    You're not a terrible mum! You're doing what is best for you & your family & if it works for you then that's fine, midwives just need to let you know that it is possible for nipple confusion to happen but it doesn't mean it will - just be aware.

I occassionally gave LO a dummy too & he naturally rejected it a 4 months.
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• Options
    i started doing this with grace at a similar age and shes never had a ny confusion,im now exclusively bf and she only has a bottle when my mums babysitting n she never gets confused.She also has a dummy n she is almost 4 mths n feeds fantastically!congrats by the way xx
  • Options
    congrats on baby Theo, and on bf.

'some' babies can have nipple confusion, but i think its more a case of advice confusion for MWs and HVs. As in they couldnt give good advie if they were paid for it.... hang on they are!! image:lol:

I expressed and gave Ollie a bottle at about 2 weeks (I started expressing at 3 weeks properly to help build up my supply for future growth spurts.... just a lil hint that makes the first one easier..) so i could be the worst mother in the world and go out for a meal for my birthday with my lovely hubby. image

I also gave him a dummy from about 2 weeks as I refused to be used as a comfoter every second of the day, and Ollie always wanted to suck.

He never had any problems switching between them, and it also gave me time if i wanted it to have a bath, or go out for an hour or two etc etc...

It can be easier for babies to get the milk out of a bottle as theres no let down reflex to wait for, and it flows a lot faster, but its the closeness of the feeding your LO will not want to give up, so shouldnt have any problems.

xxxx
  • Options
    do you know whats weird? I dont actually know of anyone who's baby has had this so called nipple confusion!!

Reiss has had at least one bottle of ebm a day from 3 weeks aswell as a dummy and is also fine with both!

lol re hv getting paid to give stoopid advice!

well done hon and good on you for bfingxx
  • Options
    Well Theo seems happy enough with both! He had a bottle of expressed milk throughout the night from hubby and then he quite happily latched onto the breast throughout the day! He has a dummy too because he just wants to suck all the time and my nipples were too sore to let him! I think as long as he continues to do both happily then I'll just feed him myself when we're home and express if I need a nights sleep or we're going out for the day.
    Thanks for the advise ladies.
    xxx