Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How much do u get from expressing?

I'm not getting that much despite investing in an electriic pump. I'm only getting an ounce to an ounce and a half each side. What kind of pump do you use? How much do you get each side? Have you got more as you have gone along?

Replies

• Options
    Hi I have expressed with all 3 of mine and have found that the amount that you get depends on a number of things. Firstly, the best time to express is first thing in the morning when you have most milk. I used to feed off one side and express from the other (always the same one which seemed to get it used to expressing) then lo would feed off the one I had expressed from. Secondly, you do get more the more often you express and the longer you carry on for. Apart from that first feed when lo fed from the other side I also always used a dual pump as you get more if you express from both sides at the same time (or feed from the other at the same time). Thirdly, you get more milk with the more babies you have and feed so if this is your first it will take a bit longer to get a decent amount from expressing.
    There are also other factors to consider - How long do you express for each time? Are you relaxed whilst expressing? How old is lo? When are you expressing? How often are you feeding lo? The more often lo feeds, the more you will build up your supply which will enable you to express more. Do you offer both sides each feed? Again, you will produce more milk if lo is taking from both sides each feed.
    You sound like you are doing well and I'm sure if you persevere you will get more out. What are you going to use the expressed milk for? xx
  • Options
    I only really want enough for 1 bottle a day so that OH can feed him and so he gets used to a bottle before I go back to work when he is 5 months. He's 1 month old feeding every 2 hours from just 1 breast. I've been expressing from the opposite one. \strangely I seem to get more milk at night...I think I'm just odd!
  • Options
    Hi again, if you get more at night then carry on with what works best for you. If he is only feeding from one side each time why don't you try expressing from the other side after he has fed. It might take a while to build it up but I'm sure you will notice the difference after a few days.
    If you can, I would recommend that you stay away from giving him a bottle before he is 6 weeks old as that is when your milk supply gets established (so building it up over the next couple of weeks will ensure you have plenty in future) and even after that, if you are not going back to work for another few months you don't really need to give him a bottle yet (maybe a month before?). Don't forget, unless you are expressing the same amount out each time he has a bottle (even of expressed milk) you won't be producing that milk that he would otherwise be getting from you.
    However, I do think it is a good idea to carry on expressing and you can freeze it for 6 months and build up a good supply so you have plenty to use when you do go back to work.
    Hope that helps x
  • Options
    Thanks! It kind of ties in at the moment of me getting more at night and that is when my hubby would give him a bottle so I will def be expressing when he is being fed by bottle. Will take your advice on waiting too. I suppose it's just that OH wants to be more involved.
  • Options
    That is the only problem with breastfeeding, that the men can't do it (yet anyway!) but my hubby has always done bath time every evening followed by baby massage (there is a great dvd by Peter Walker) and they have all had really special times with him whilst doing that. Also, it really won't be that long before lo is on solids (time flies by far too fast!) and your oh can feed him all he wants to then! xx