Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How long?

Just wanted to know how long people first planned to breastfeed, how long you have managed it so far and how much longer you think you will manage?

I bf exclusively for 12 weeks which was my goal. After that I started topping up because I was going back to work when he was 20 weeks. He is now 25 weeks and half of his daily milk is still from me!!! At the moment I have no plans to stop and have the thought I will continue til he is a year. I found it so different when I started as to what I thought it would be and it has made me want to do it longer than I originally thought. Anyone else the same?

Initial target: 12 weeks exclusively, til 6 months morning and night
What I did: 12 weeks exclusively, still going at 25 weeks.
What I plan to do now: Keep going to at least a year!

Replies

• Options
    i aimed to get to 6 months excusively, and managed 12 months just over, which for me was brilliant.

with the next one I'll aim again for 6 months, and hopefully get to a year image

xxxx
  • Options
    hello,I also managed 6 months exclusivly and still fully breastfeeding plus weanig at 32 weeks,all the milk for the cerial etc comes from me.A bit of a necessity for us as one time when we tried baby rice with formula she came up with bad rash all over straight away.Awaiting hospital appointment for milk allergy testing please wish us luck.
  • Options
    I'm aiming for 6 months exclusive bf but would like to do a morning and night feed until 1 year. Done 8 weeks so far and really chuffed with myself. :\) image
  • Options
    i didnt really have a n aim in the beginning just thought id take each day as it came as i dnt think i expected it to wrk!(i gave up after 3 weeks with my 1st)grace is 4 mths and still exclusively bf,im aiming for a yr when she can have cows milk and am so glad we r still going strong! xx
  • Options
    hey,

I didn't really think about this until recently! I was just concerned with being determined to get it started!

Now i hope to be able to do it atleast until she can have cows milk.
  • Options
    Same as lisajoy, when I first started I didn't really think about how long I would bf for and I didn't even know when they could have cows milk! As we continued I decided I would like to try and aim for 12 months and avoid formula. I actually started cutting down feeds at 11 months and finished completely a week before lo first birthday which he wasn't that pleased about! I would have been happy to carry on for a bit longer but was feeling too ill and drained from being pregnant with second baby. My 2nd lo is due in march and I will see how it goes but hope to bf to 12 months. well done everyone. x
  • Options
    i aimed for 6 months
    jordan is now 7 months and fully b/f
    now i am gonna b/f him until 1 year unless he decides he doesnt want it before then image
  • Options
    i never set my self any goals, with phoebe i ebf for 4 months and then mixed fed until 7 months and i was happy with that. this time i want to feed for as long as i can. freya will be 6 months in 4 days time and is still ebf and i have no plans to stop any time soon. x
  • Options
    with my daughter I initially just thought I hoped it would work, then I set a goal of 4 months till she started weaning (16 weeks was the recommended weaning age then) then I set to 6 months when I was returning to work, when I returned to work I didnt want to give up so I expressed for when she was at nursery then fed when I was at home, I intended to keep that going for a year but ended up feeding her at night untill she was 22 months.

With Isaac I didnt set any goals as all the ones I set with Alice changed I just went with the flow (no pun intended) and he fed till 15 months when he decided he didnt want it any more.
  • Options
    The only goal i set myself was to actually manage to bf in the first place and i managed that and still exclusively bf lo 11 weeks, nearly gave up at about 4 weeks when we had thrush and it felt like sum1 was stabbin needles in my nipples everytime she fed, but i'm so glad i didn't give in and give formula.
    I hope to bf exclusively until a go back to work, when lo is 4 or 5 months, and there dependin where she is at with weainin i mite have to introduce sum formula, cos not sure if if i'd b able to express enough to keep her goin while i'm at work all day
    xxx
  • Options
    I just took it each day at a time to, no real goals. My dd is 29 weeks old and I am well chuffed to report I did excusively bf for 4 months until we started weaning and now I feed her morning and night, as she does not want her milk during the day anymore. I intend to keep doing this for as long as lo wants me, it's our special cuddle time I love it and I would realy miss it if I stopped, oh but definatley not past the age of 2 though lol x
  • Options
    I took it one day at a time too, but did sort of expect to go as long as i could. I had to give up at 8 weeks due to being stuck in hospital from severe mastitus and absesses in one boob. Nightmare. AND i thought it would be a good idea to try and keep going. Needless to say my left side dried up completely and Harry lost so much weight his ribs stuck out. Selfish mummy image Xxx