Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

7 months and milk dwindling

well still going - just about but last few days milk seems to have really reduced, i express every night and was getting 9oz + and it's been reducing gradually and now i only get 4oz.

AF returned yesterday too so looks like it's on it's way out.

before i have to get an emergency supply and gutted that looks like I'm gonna have to give up, what formula is best for libby to move onto at this stage after breast feeding? she's exactly 7 months.

thanks
em x

Replies

• Options
    hey hun,i doubt your milk will be "running out" your body is so good at telling the difference between baby suckling and the pump that its not uncommon for many mums not to be able to express.I for one cannot get anything anymore but i know i have milk.If libby is still feeding you will still have milk.Return of af isnt an indication either as some women get them back straight after having baby.She may just take less now that she older.If you do decide to move onto formula i would suggest aptimal as its closest to bm with similar lcps and prebiotics xxx
  • Options
    Replied to you on June forum hun, but just wanted to add that my af came back at 4 and a half months and until now when i'm ill myself, supply has continued. xxx
  • Options
    thanks girls fingers crossed my supply will continue a bit longer yet, she seems to have been content the last couple of days.

em x
  • Options
    Im in agreement with hollysmum. I can no longer express even an oz, even if my breast seem as though they have some milk. Lo is still getting enough so I wouldnt worry..
    In regards to af, cant help as I had it straight after lo born. Only missed out on tbhe 2mth!
  • Options
    Joey - poor you on af coming back early, I feel so lucky now. So far been quite a light one so I reckon next month is my biggy. So what do you do with breakfast if you can't express? I have just started Libby on weetabix mixed with baby cereal and i always express milk to mix it, do you use formula in this instance or do you just use water? Just wondering what you all do as I think I'm gonna struggle with breakfast soon.

Ta Em x
  • Options
    from 6 months onwards, cows milk can be used on cereals and in cooking.

af can cause a dip in supply for a few days due to hormone levels, but it normally resumes full supply a few days into af.
  • Options
    Thanks Katybee - I thought you could only use cows milk for cooking, great to hear AF can cause a reducyion in supply - she only gets less than a minute on each side at the moment once the let down comes and that takes it's time, she must be getting 3 oz max each time she feeds so been feeding her as often as I can. Fingers crossed picks up in next couple of days.

Em x