Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I'm thinking of donating milk

My friend has just given birth at 27 +6 days and it's made me think about donating milk. I'd love to help her and her baby any way I can and I'm going to ask her if she needs any. If not I think I'm going to donate to the milk bank so other babies like little Ellie Rose can benefit. Has anyone else ever done this? I am really wanting to do it now.

Replies

• Options
    Hi my 3rd baby is now 13 months and I still donate milk to our local milk bank. I have always expressed because of poor milk supply so build it up by expressing and feel the need to have a spare supply as I was forced to give my oldest son formula for a few days due to poor weight gain. I only express 1oz a day now but until she was a year old had so much in the freezer that I didn't know what to do with it. I didn't acutally know that there were still milk banks around until I googled in and found that there was one quite close to me. The first time I gave to them they had to take my bloods to test me for all sorts understandably but that is all I had to do.
    My friend who has twins always said that she would rather use some of my milk than give formula but successfully fed her twins so didn't need any. My best friend who now lives in Wales struggled with bf and had to top up so when we went to her lo christening she used some of my expressed milk.
    It does feel good knowing that other babies are benefitting. How old is your baby? I think they will only take milk if your lo is less than 6 months old the first time you donate. Good Luck xx
  • Options
    Lucas is only 5 weeks old so thats fine. I knew about the blood tests.
  • Options
    I'm going next monday to get my blood tests done. hopefully ill be suitable.