Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How much?.....

Hi all,

Archie is 3 weeks 4 days and we are EBF, I have expressed on a couple of occasions but don't ever seem to get more than just over an ounce out of each boob! I know that Archie is getting enough as he is gaining weight nicely image he was 11ib 9oz born and as you can imagine an ounce isn't enough lol.

I don't know whether it's just me being impatient, I have the TT electric breast pump and used it this morning for ten minutes and got an ounce and a half out of my left boob. I stop as it seems towards the end there's nowt coming out. How much does everyone else get out? Am I not allowing enough time? I express on a morning as have read that's when there's lots. Any advice, similar stories? Xxx

Replies

• Options
    I never used to be able to express much either -have you tried waiting for a second let down? If you keep pumping after the initial let down has finished you will prob get another one after a few minutes. Also if you express regularly your body should start making extra milk.

I have to add that although I could barely muster an ounce at your stage, my baby is now 8 months and I expressed 10 ounces in 15 mins yesterday!
  • Options
    I was exactly the same. Initially I had the Avent manual pump and took forever to get a couple of ounces - like an hour!! It did gradually get better though but only after expressing several times a day for a few weeks. Eventually I got the TT electric one which is definitely better in terms of efficiency but I still can't get a full feed in one session. Luckily I don't need to but I wanted to have milk in the freezer for any unexpected purposes - just hasn't really worked out. So don't worry at all, you are completely normal.

I do have some tips though:

- express first thing in the morning when your milk supply is best. As peony1 says, keep going for that second letdown. I would do it for at least 20 minutes on each side.

- before you express, try massaging your breasts and applying warm flannels to stimulate let down.

- drink lots of water!!

- express several times a day at first to stimulate milk production

- if you don't get a full feed, put what you have managed to express in the fridge. You can add to it anything else you express within the next 24 hours. Once you have a full feed either keep it in the fridge (for up to 24 hours from when you first expressed) or pop it in the freezer.

HTH

C image
  • Options
    I express for 20-30 minutes each side and get that second let-down, makes a huge difference to the amount.

During the night/early morning pumping is a good tip, I always get twice as much then as what I do the rest of the day.

Good luck xx