Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Baby takes in too much air when breastfeeding

Ava is six days old now and seems to be breastfeeding for the entire day and night. The thing is, she takes in alot of air and screams as shes going on the breast. Last night we didn't get a wink of sleep because when she finally attaches, its only for 5 mins at a time. Does anyone know how all the air gets in or why she is screaming so much she sometimes doesn't even attach. I'm sure I'm feeding properly as it doesn't hurt and she has plenty of dirty nappies. I'm using Infacol for wind but only since yesterday.

Replies

• Options
    Um dont really no wot to suggest.
    i fed every 1.5 hours for the first 6 weeks day and night plus a cluster feed anywere between 3pm and 11pm for a good 3hrs non stop,its all pretty normal if that helps.
    prob not i think,the gulping of air is a latch issue im afriad to say, bf babies tend not to gulp in air as a good latch means a sealed unti between boob and baby.
    things to check
    1-does she make a clicking sound when sucking?
    if some her mouth isnt open wide enough.
    2- is her nose level with your nipple when latching on,?
    his will make her open her mouth really wide to drop her chin and get a good strong latch.
    3-try to relax and be comfortable wen feeding with lots of skin to skin it really helps.
    my ds had cloic issues,in the end id tried infacol,cloief everything so i went to a cranial osteopathist we had 4 sessions ans he has never had wind pains since it worked amazingly,dont ask how iv no idea.
    they say if its a stressfull/fast birth it can lead to windy babies and ithink i found my cure in that, it even made him sleep through, he has slept 7.30-7.30 since 10weeks old.
    dont panic it doesnt last foreva,i would recommend u going to a breast feeding group local to u if there is one they r invaluble for advise.
    good luck x
  • Options
    Beth used to do this. It was because my flow started faster than she could keep up with so she would gulp, slip off breast and swallow air trying to cope. It may be something she grows out of.

As M&K says though - feeding LOADS is pretty normal this early. Keep going with Infacol - apparently it takes a while to work. Also try winding before feed, as well as during and after. They can swallow air through crying as well.

Could it be reflux or something?

Also, at 6 days old the world is still a v big, new scary place. It may just all be too much for her. Beth was mega unsettled for the first few weeks.