Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Comfort feeding non-stop!

Hello everyone I'm new to this board and just wanted a bit of advice, and to see if anyone else has had similar experiences with breast-feeding.

I am a first-time mum and my 11 week old daughter is EBF. I really do love breast-feeding and not really had any problems even in the early days. My LO is feeding regularly in the day and putting on weight, and sleeps very well at night. The only problem (and I'm not really sure if it even should be a problem!) is that she always wants to suck for comfort in the day. I do love the experience and when we are having a lazy day chilling out at home it's not a problem, but when we are out and about, visiting friends, etc, it does get embarrassing. I get all-sorts of comments like "Is she not getting enough?" "You're spoiling her!" and "She's using you as a dummy!" I am not confident enough to BF in public and it is sometimes distressing for both me and my LO as when she wants to suck she won't settle with me at all, cuddling her in my arms makes her worse as she can't get to me! Also it seems like every time I hold her she will cry unless I get my boobs out! I feel like a pair of boobs on legs! I tried a sling but couldn't seem to get the positioning right and also a front carrier, but this made things worse as LO was close but couldn't get to me so worked herself up into a frenzy! When others hold her she is very content, but she cries unless she is suckling with me - I wish I could comfort her another way!

Does anyone else experience this with their LOs? Am I getting her into bad habits and will she grow out of it as she gets older? I would love some advice!!

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun,

Have you tried a dummy? My dd has had one for comfort since 2 weeks old. She is a really sucky baby! She is exclusively bf and we havent had any issues with nipple confusion.

It might be worth a shot. My hv said it was ok to use a dummy as long as it doesnt replace a feed, So i would offer it after a feed and see if it helps.

Lx
  • Options
    I agree with LB. Im mum to 3 and my DS1 had a dummy till he was 3 (hangs head in mummy shame, but he only had in bed from age 2). My DS2 had a dummy a few times to settle and stretch out feeds when he was small, and DS3 has had one 2 or 3 times.

Dont worry that if you give one, your LO will have it all the time. You might only have to give it a few times for LO to get the massage. If LO pushes it out, which will happen, keep trying. Wriggle it, and hold in till LO starts sucking. Obviously if LO gets upset then take away, but its worth a try

Gemm x
  • Options
    my DD was exactly the same, and unfortunatly wouldn't take a dummy! She did however soon learn to suck her fingers and at 13 months she still sucks the same two fingers for comfort. Its a difficult time when all they want is boobie (and like i said, DD wouldnt take a dummy - i tried different shapes, someone else giving it to her, putting it on my boob, putting milk on it, the lot!), but it does soon pass. Is breastfeeding in public a definate no no for you - or have you just not felt comfortable doing it yet? Maybe go along to the local breastfeeding group if you have one, as thats an ideal 'public' place to first feed if your feeling a bit nervous, or take a friend with you who you feel comfortable with to back you up! I've always fed my daughter in public and never had any bad comments, but remember - it is ILLEGAL to ask a breastfeeding mother whos baby is under 6 months to move.

A good comeback to all of those questions is asking how often they eat and drink! have you not just had a cup of tea and a biscuit together? and then some water because you were still thirsty? plus your daughters tummy will be much smaller!

Hope your feeling less mummy dummy today, and that if you go down the route of a dummy it works for you! But hang in there if not - as it will get better of its own accord (might just take a little longer!) xxxx