Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Breast and Formula

Hi, im a new mum to a baby boy he is 3 weeks old, ive been breast feeding which has had its ups and downs - i have been expressing as well as having him latch on. For the first 2weeks i was able to express up to 4 oz from each breast but now i'll be lucky if i get 1oz. im sure my boy is getting enough as he is gaining weight. But would i be able to use formula as well as breast just for a top up of a night? My midwife says no but the health visitor says yes!! I did want to continue to breast feed for at least 6 months but at this rate im unsure now!! Any advise is welcome.

Replies

• Options
    hi

congratulations on the arrival of your little boy. my lo is 14weeks old now land since birth i have breastfed, but he lost a lot of weight after his birth so was forced to express and like yourself i wasnt getting enough so topped each feed up with formula.after a couple of weeks, i stopped the formula but lo wasnt gaining enough weight, so i now breast feed all the time except his last two feeds before bed which are formula, when he has the last bottle i express and give him that sometime during the following day. so in my opinion, breastfeeding and formula is fine to do, we had no problems! also, we used aptimal formula as apparently it is the most like breast milk.

hope that helps.

ashy x
  • Options
    hi, i mixfed ds from 3wks to 7months so yes it is doable ur milk supply is probably dwindling a little now purely because ur body now knows how much ds needs, so only produces taht much. i started mixfeeding at 3 weeks by offering a ff at 9.30/10pm (bedtilme feed), this also helped get a bedtime routine going and meant OH cld do it so i cld be in bed prior to this ready for the middle of the night feeds.n hth xx
  • Options
    Hi,

I give Matthew his final feed in the evening as a Formula feed and he takes between 2 - 4 oz depending on how hungry he is and how much he has eaten during the rest of the evening. I then express at 10.30 to keep up my milk and this works REALLY well for both of us. We have done this for three weeks and he is now 7 weeks old.

HJS