Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Clothes for breastfeeding

Have hesitated about posting as it probably seems such a silly question but what are most people wearing to breastfeed? At the moment we are still in early days (Emily is 3.5 weeks) and are still mainly at home so I am in maternity tops that double as nursing tops but they don't seem very flattering and so am wondering whether i'll be stuck in them until i stop feeding or if there are plausible alternatives out there? Would love to wear more normal clothes when out and about (although not braved it yet with the weather) and also thinking ahead to the christening.Really don't know if this makes any sense but hope people can offer own experiences.

Replies

• Options
    Hi, I didn't think about this at all and ended up with a very limited wardrobe in the first few weeks!

I too have a couple of nursing tops and a dress from mamaway, the rest of the time I wear long shirts with a vest underneath, or a normal top with vest under then I pull the top up and the vest down.
  • Options
    Jojomamanbebe had a sale on recently which included nursing tops and I picked some up for a tenner. Can't say how good they are though as I haven't given birth yet!
    xx
  • Options
    around the house i just wear a t shirt or vest top and tracksuit bottoms as i find anything too bulky cumbersome and anything with too many buttons too fidly. I tend to just wear what ever is comfortable for long periods of feeding. If i go out i quite ofter change into my jeans and a nicer top but change back when i get home, i'm all for comfort.
  • Options
    At home I wear anything and just pull it up (wear vest underneath to stay warm!) For when I'm out I bought a nursing cover so I can wear anything I want still: http://www.babybubu.co.uk/?p=1&c=breastfeeding_covers

• Options
    Hi, we have had a couple of threads about this recently, think they had some other links in them too.

http://www.babyexpert.com/chatroom/topic/150817

• Options
    Thanks for replies have been helpful
  • Options
    Thanks for replies have been helpful
  • Options
    I've been sorting this out for myself, winter feeding is cold! last baby was summer so I didn't have special feeding clothes particularly. Have found mothercare tops fidley, there is too much to move. Breastvest was a good design but I had issues with the quality of the straps. My favourite find is the rooti tooti feeding vest. looks a bit s&m! it's basically a peep hole vest, so you wear ordinary clothes over the top (i started with maternity tops then gradually got back into normal clothes without having to buy new vests as they're stretchy and shrink with you), not the cheapest but the easiest for me, just unclip bra and off we go, no fidgiting around with flaps, no exposed flab, just a discreet feed, so much so that people keep asking if he's asleep, and can they have a look at him, they're then embarassed/ shocked to be told he's feeding!:lol:
  • Options
    Thinking of the christening, jojomamanbebe and milkbug online do some quite nice feeding dresses - not too pricey either I don't think. But if you have the do after the christening at home I'd just buy anything you like to wear and then go upstairs to feed.
  • Options
    Hiya

The best thing you can get is a pack of 3 bump bands from new look.They're available on line in the maternity section and I think they're about ??10.

With these it means you can wear any top, I wear all my pre preg stuff, and pull it up to feed without flashing your stomach to the world or getting cold.

They are my best purchase, I can't recommend them highly enough.

xx Helly
  • Options
    Hello!

Well - I started off wearing maternity like you....but after 2 weeks of having baby I had lost 2 stone - so the clothes were huge...I then bought a few tops to tied me over (just normal ones that I wld pull up).

I have now lost over 3 stone (baby is 4 months) and I am one size bigger than I was pre pregnancy (so still cant fit into my clothes)..but luckily for xmas my family bought me clothes (Jeans/trousers and tops I could pull up).....I tend to go for longish tops (at least to th e hip) so that when I pull them up I still have material to cover boobie!

xxxx