Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I gave him his last bf today :cry:

I'm really, really upset - I thought I'd handle this better! I've tried every way of looking at it that I can, and going back to work + trying to continue bfing = mummy who can't function. There aren't enough hours in the day for me to do everything. So, in anticipation of going back to work a week on Monday, I have given ds his last bf and as of tomorrow he'll be entirely on formula.

I know it's perfectly good stuff, but I feel like a conplete failure and I can't stop crying.

Replies

• Options
    Oh hon, I know how you feel. I am in the process of stopping BFing and I am also finding it hard. I think it's normal to be upset - you have done such a wonderful thing for a long time and of course it's hard to think it's over. No advice as I am also surprised at how emotional I feel about it all, but big gentle hugs xxx
  • Options
    I can only imagine how you must be feeling as b'feeding has played such a big part in our lives with our lo's. I have been exclusively feeding for over 8 months and when I realised that Gabe was weaning himself off I got quite emotional about it.

You are not a "complete failure" - quite the opposite in fact as you have given your lo a fantastic start.

As coco has said, big gentle hugs to you and know that we understand how difficult/emotional it is to stop breastfeeding.

C.x
  • Options
    Thank you for the gentle hug, coco, boobies are not feeling too great today!

Didn't sleep a wink last night, I had this bizarre, uncontrollable urge to go in and wake him up to feed him. I had to put a dvd on to watch to take my mind off it! I know going back to work now is the best thing, I'm only there for 6 weeks but as I'm leaving I need to get that done so I can keep my mat pay and then as of end of July I'll be off with ds again, but I just wish I could make my body postpone and then go back to feeding him then!!! Arg, he's happy, that's the main thing...

Thanks girls, I just never anticipated feeling this lost when I gave up!