Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Anyone use nipple shields every feed??

Hi ladies

My little girl is 2 weeks old tomorrow and I'm exclusively BFing her but I'm using nipple shields for every feed. She was really struggling to latch on properly and my nipples were blistered and bleeding with a deep crack on my left side also my baby was getting so frustrated trying to get on and was just spending about 30 mins going on and off then she would eventually get a good latch but because she had tired herself out so much she would only feed for 3 or 4 minutes and would fall fast asleep. I started using the shields on my left side as the deep crack was so painful as she was feeding I was crying my eyes out which was distressing for all of us! I'm now using them on both sides for every feed and too scared to try her without as it was so frustrating and painful for us both! She feeds so much better with the shields and seems to get a much better feed but the breastfeeding councilor and midwife are very keen for me to try and get rid of them but I feel like they are a working wonders for me and my little girl so why should we give them up?

I was just wondering if anyone else uses shields for every feed? Has anyone used shields then gone back to feeding without? I have tried her twice half way through a feed to get her on my breast but she just cant do it.

Bx

Replies

• Options
    Hi Beth

firstly well done for keeping going despite the problems.

The reason they are keen to get you to try to stop is due to possible problem's with supply as the shields can cause problems that way.

I started using shields when my lo was 3 days old and in scbu with an infection and jaundice and having problems latching on because of being drowsy with being ill and the shape of my nipples. I tried to get him off the shields but if I am honest I didn't try that hard I was just glad he was getting my milk and growing well. My midwife was brill and just said do what is best for you and that she knew a few mums who used nipple shields with their lo's all the time. I am still using them and Marcus is 14 months now and down to two feeds am and last thing at night and he has thrived with the bf.

At our breastfeeding group their were several of us using shields at the start and the two others managed to gradually wean the babies off the shields.

I hope that helps a bit and answers your questions

jillycat
  • Options
    Hi Beth

firstly well done for keeping going despite the problems.

The reason they are keen to get you to try to stop is due to possible problem's with supply as the shields can cause problems that way.

I started using shields when my lo was 3 days old and in scbu with an infection and jaundice and having problems latching on because of being drowsy with being ill and the shape of my nipples. I tried to get him off the shields but if I am honest I didn't try that hard I was just glad he was getting my milk and growing well. My midwife was brill and just said do what is best for you and that she knew a few mums who used nipple shields with their lo's all the time. I am still using them and Marcus is 14 months now and down to two feeds am and last thing at night and he has thrived with the bf.

At our breastfeeding group their were several of us using shields at the start and the two others managed to gradually wean the babies off the shields.

I hope that helps a bit and answers your questions

jillycat

Thanks for replying jillycat. I was just looking for a bit of reassurance from others who use shields as I dont know anyone who uses them. Its good to know your still BFing at 14 months on the shields.

When you put the shields on do they automatically fill up with milk? I feel like this makes it harder when switching back to the breast as she doesn't have to work so hard it just sort of pours into her mouth at first and then she starts really sucking but obviously she doesn't get that immediate reward on breast alone as it takes her so long to get latched on properly.

Bx
  • Options
    I used shield with my first DD for a couple of months when she was about 2 weeks old. but when my nipples stopped bleeding and the cracks healed i stopped using them as i couldn't be bothered with the sterilizing between feeds ect. I found my LO soon got used to not having them and my nipples never cracked again. but i can't see a problem if you want to keep using them. x
  • Options
    I am not quite sure what you mean about them filling up with milk, as Marcus when sucking then triggers the let down. The first week I used to put a bit of expressed milk in the shield so he would get started but that was also because he was sleepy with being ill. I havent gone that since

sorry if that isnt much help
  • Options
    I tried the nipple shields but didn't get on with them so I can't advise on that! But, I do know what you mean about them filling up with milk. Mine did the same thing. For me it was because as soon as I start thinking about breast feeding I start dripping milk, and so with the shields they would fill up. But, I'd imagine you'll find that you are leaking out milk with or without the shields, and so your baby doesn't have to suck too hard to have the first milk even without the shields.

Good luck with it! x
  • Options
    I used to use them with every feed due to cracked bleeding nipples, but then I found advent nipple cream which heals the nipples from the inside so therefore no scab forms, and then the nipples do not crack and bleed all the time. Once I started using the cream the nipple sheilds were off and in the bin as it really does work, I would recomend you get some and you too will be rewarded with the niceness of BF good luck.