Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

wont take a bottle

Hi girls, My LO is 4 n half months old, ive been full breast feedin all the time, as my lil 1 has never taken a bottle. I have tryed so many times and so many diffrnet bottles. Has any 1 else had this problem and whta did u do? its hard 4 my Oh as he will nbot settle or take a bottle wen i go out ive tryed speakin 2 health visotor n all thy say is cup feed him... any advice please xx

Replies

• Options
    Oh my god, well I won't start a thread for this as I have exactly the same problem. My lo is nearly 4 months and flat refuses a bottle. My hubby and I are supposed to be going away for 1 night next week for our anniversary (1st night away) and grandparents are looking after. But how can I leave him if he won't feed from the bottle???

I really don't know what to do :\(

Sorry I can't help you, but I do empathise hugely.

Niblett xx
  • Options
    you have proabley tried the tt closer to nature bottles but i have found them really good.

Have you tried going out of the room and letting someone else try to feed lo while you are not there? When my friend went back to work that was the only way they could get her lo to take a bottle. If they won't take it from dad they might from nan? worth trying and try doing it when they are hungry but before they get upset. good luck. I hope you get your night away.
  • Options
    I have tryed everything. Wen i go ot he will just not take a bottle no matter how hungry he is. He used 2 take a bottle a couple of months ago... yeh i have he tt bottles n he did take thm at 1 point. He ont take bottle from dad, grandma granny auntie lol. hes a monkey dnt no wot else 2 try lol x
  • Options
    Hi Sammi my little boy is 15 weeks and I am very lucky as he has one bottle a day and had no problem with nipple confusion.

However with my little girl she would not take a bottle and I had the worry your having. HV recommended to me putting her on a cup (not the posh ones with anti drip lids etc as they can't suck from these) but just a plain free flow one such as a TT first cup.
    First Cup???????http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/product/first_cup_4_months_pack_of_4/

This did the trick and she started nursery at four months being BF from me and having milk from this cup. Good luck
  • Options
    hiya, we had the same problem with my lo. She would not take a bottle in her mouth at all, she wont have a dummy either. We found a different type bottle called Adiri Natural Nurser, they are quite expensive but we got one off ebay with the postage for about ??14. It is shaped like a boob and made of soft silicone so therefore warmer etc the teat is more nipple shaped, so much more like your own boob. We have tried her a couple of times now with it and although she has not taken loads from it (I only put expressed milk in it), she has sucked from it and had about half an ounce. We are just going to keep offering it, at least she takes it in her mouth and rolls it around her tongue and will suck on it, where as all the other bottles we tried she just spat out! By the way on the website its says you need the "warming cap" which you have to buy seperately to stop the bottle leaking when you warm the milk (the bottle is filled from the bottom), you dont - we just warmed the EBM in another bottle that was ok to stand in hot water, and then tipped it in! Saved another ??7 on the cap thing!! I hope this helps.
    Lisa xx