Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Upset by Doctors remarks

Hi
I have just been to the doctors and had some tablets prescribed to me.As the doctor gave me the prescripton I asked him if it was ok to take whilst breastfeeding.

He just stared at me and said well how old is your little one now then.When I said she is 16 months he just said well when are you going to stop b/f her.I said i'm not sure yet I am giving her more and more cows milk so hoping she will wean herself of soon.

He then said you will need to otherwise you will end up like that little britain character the one that says bitty all the time.
I feld so humilitated by his comment s like I was some kind of freak or something.
I cried for ages when I got home.
I just feel upset because breastfeeding is pushed by all the doctors yet if you succeed at it and do it past a certain point then their is something wrong with you.GRRRRRR!

Replies

• Options
    What a cock (i'm assuming it was a man). Given that the WHO recomend bfing until 2 it's not like you are doing anything even slightly odd. Why do so many health professionals (and I use the word loosely) have such a problem with bfing, it's no wonder the bfing rates are so crap in this country with 'support' like that.
    I think you should complain to the practise manager about the way he made you feel, and then I think you should sit down with a big bar of chocy and your lo and remind yourself what a brilliant job you are doing.
    Big hugs
    Kerry xx
  • Options
    Hi Kerry
    Yes it was a man !!
    Thanks you have made me feel better.
    xxx
  • Options
    Sod complaining to the surgery I think you should complain to the local PCT and ring GMTV they always like stories about breastfeeding and I feel that it is totally out of order for a GP to say that. Worldwide the average age on stopping breast feeding is 4! But the proof of benefits to children under 2 are massive

Sorry if it seems a bit much but things like this really get to me!
  • Options
    What a cock (i'm assuming it was a man). Brilliant, could not have put it any better myself Bedhead.

What a fantastic job you have done, and indeed still doing, you should be very proud !x!

Lynne xx
  • Options
    that is horrid im definately with you bedhead what a cock. i woiuld definately complain as its outrageous
    reckon he obviously did not get bf as a baby - boob envy maybe
  • Options
    Hi I agree with the others that you should complain, or rather need to, to stop him saying the same thing to someone else.
    I went to see a private dr about back problems and when I told him I was still bf my lo at 15 months he said I have to stop because I am preventing her from developing!! Obviously I took absolutely no notice and am still bf her now at 20 months! xx
  • Options
    That's disgusting and childish behaviour and from a health professional too- he deservers to feel as humiliated as you did - complain about him and see how he likes it!!!!

They are there to help us through problems, not to make you feel upset and belittling you. The Idiot!

I hope you're feeling better now hun xxx
  • Options
    Bless you, that must have been awful for you. I've never heard of anything so inappropriate.

Hope your ok now x x x
  • Options
    thats awful,dnt let his remarks upset you.You are doing the best for your lo.Breastmilk is actually shown to be benefitial up to the age of 7 believe it or not!! I hope u complaion to your surgery,he shouldnt be able to make women feel like this xxx
  • Options
    I HATE the culture of "complain, or even better, sue" that exists in this country but in this case I have to agree with the others - complain, loudly!

What a t*sser! And more to the point, that's the kind of personal remark that can get someone struck off - how totally, totally unprofessional of him.

Please don't feel sad or ashamed, doctors are just people like the rest of us and you've clearly stumbled across one who needs a good slap.

35+2 (and sooo angry for you!)
  • Options
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their support - it has made me feel a lot better today. xxxxxx
  • Options
    That was an awful thing to say! It is none of his business, or anyone else's, how long you breast feed for. I definitely think you should complain. Please don't be upset hun cos its great you've been bfing for so long x