Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

bf in public

I went to my usual buggy fit class today and there were quite a few new people there. Afterwards we usually sit and have a cup of tea and a chat at the little cafe in the park. Anyway today there were 7 of us there and we were sat round and all of us were breast feeding our lo's. Just wanted to share as it was really lovely that we were able to feel really comfortable doing it. It was a lovely day so lots of people, all the tables were full and no-one batted an eye lid. I didn't feed in public with dd1 and whilst I do with dd2 I felt quite self consious to start with and am really glad I'm a lot more confident with it now.

Anyway just thought I'd share. :\)

Replies

• Options
    that's lovely! I always fed mine in public, but just had a shawl that i threw over my shoulder with DD, but that was 8 years ago and people seem more relaxed about it now than they were even then.
  • Options
    i've already bought myself a beautiful (but cheap) sparkly shawl as a BF wrap... only cost ??4 but is very glam and if bibi pukes on it i won't mind!!
  • Options
    That's lovely. I never mastered public feeding with ds - (once in a cafe when we were desperate and literally a couple of times in front of a friend at home), but I'm now 31+5 with no2 and determined to master it this time, so it's lovely to hear you're finding it a positive experience this time having not done so with your first.
  • Options
    That's so lovely!!

I was soooo self conscious about bf'ing in public..even when I was just around my sisters I would take myself to another room to feed..which is just really inconvenient

I think if I had to carrybon like that I would have started on bottle..as there was no way I could do it in a restaraunt or town centre
    I bought myself nursing tops and I swear it's the best purchases I have made..I've now fed in restaraunts, parks, marks and spencer and in front of freinds and family (which I really couldn't do before)

xx
  • Options
    that is such a lovely positive story.. well done you!

I was very self concious about feeding in public. My OH assured me that it was so discreet you that could not tell. I never beleived him. When we look down all we see is boob but, the babies head hides that from everyone else. In the end he videoed me feeding and walked all around me at 360 degrees to prove that it just looked like I was cuddling the baby.

The trick is to wear layers. A vest top under another top works. Youcan then pull the vest top up to cover your boob and the other top down . This is so discreet and only a bit of boob is out and that is in the babies mouth!!!!

I have now fed 3 babies successfully and I loved every minute of it...

d xxx
  • Options
    It's so good to see posts like this image
    I remember the first time I braved feeding in public. I was so nervous and felt so awkward but once I realised I didn't have a crowd watching me it was fine! Nursing bra's and tops were a God send for me. I remember feeding lo in a cafe with a friend also feeding her baby. People were actually smiling at us, and then I spotted a few mums bf their babies. It was such a lovely moment! :\)

Cat xxx
  • Options
    That's lovely! I have always BFed in public, but I do feel even more confident doing it when I'm with other BFing mums. xx
  • Options
    how refreshing hearing something like this! image

me and my breast friend quickly bonded when we realised we were the only ones breastfeeding in our baby group. now we do everything together and both chuckle as we get our boobs out in public.

the other day some bloke was getting a proper good look and we both laughed as i shouted "had a good enough look yet?!"

i would love to be in a big group of breastfeeders!!
  • Options
    Lovely post! It's so true that no-one else really notices what you're doing (or cares if they do!). I was BFing my son at a friend's house and my hubby didn't even realise I was feeding him. And my brother-in-law's girlfriend walked straight up and kissed me when she first came to meet my son then apologised 5 mins later, saying, 'ooh, sorry, I didn't realise you were feeding him' - he was only 2 weeks old and I was like 'that's actually great news, don't apologise as it's made me loads more confident about feeding in public'!
    xx
  • Options
    What a lovely story :\)

I go to a bf group and i agree it is the best way to get the confidence to feed in public. I also 'practiced' in front of my parents and pil - no-one noticed unless i mentioned it.

So today (my dd is 10 weeks) i bf in 'proper' public for the first time in Pizza Hut and on the train! I was so proud of myself and no-one noticed!

Lx
  • Options
    I always feel quite liberated and love BFing so much have always done it everywhere. its so lovely to hear stories like this. There should be more of it.

Most people think I'm cuddling her to sleep til she pops up with milk running down her chin. image

xxxx
  • Options
    i must admit that im not that bothered about feeding in public ive found that other people are more embarassed about the idea than i am! Not to say that im one of these who lets it all hang out while i do it! Got toagree with the person who mentioned vests tops thats all i wear at the minute nursing bra vest top and a shirt makes feeding very discreet.

My lo is nearly 5 weeks and i have fed in cafes in front of friends and at a horse show people come up and want a hold and then realise im feeding. Had some mixed comments like breastfed babies dont settle or my milk isnt strong enough thats why he feeds a lot in the evenings mym mum was worried about taking me shopping as how would i feed?!!!! My mil thinks its wonderful but is dying for me to leave him with her for a few hours and has suggested a bottle.

Overall i really enjoy it and it is much easier than carting around bottles and milk i can just feed and go.nobody should feel self concious about feeding in public you see people bottle feeding all the time and believe it when people say you cant see anything because you cant!
  • Options
    Funnily enough I was feeding my son a bottle of expressed milk outside of a pub the other week (I like him to have a bottle every now and then just so he's used to it and then I can have the odd night out!) and I felt like I wanted to wear a badge saying 'this is expressed milk you know, not formula'!
    I felt less self-conscious the following week outside the same pub when I was actually breastfeeding!
    xx