Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

time between feeds/routine

i know bf should be on demand but just wondered how often your lo feeds and if you have a routine in place for feeding/sleeping?

Susan

Replies

• Options
    my lo feeds every 2 hours during the day (7am-7pm) (he wont go longer than 2 hours) 7pm his bedtime feed then wakes anywhere between 12am-3am for a feed and again at 5am if he fed at 12am but stays asleep till 7ish if fed at 3am. If that makes sense x
    we have a bath and massage before bedtime feed. But we are co-sleeping at the moment
  • Options
    Holly has been feeding every 2 hours between 6am-9pm, she then sleeps through the night. I am trying to stretch this to feeding every 3 hours by giving her to someone else (if around) when it's getting near the 2 hour mark or trying to keep her entertained, I find that she then feeds for longer, taking more in and then she is able to last longer til her next feed. It is easier said than done though as it's usually just easier to feed her when she gets grizzly!
    I do find feeding every 2 hours very restrictive.
  • Options
    I started Abby on a routine straight away and she is still on the same basic one at 17 weeks. She's fed at about 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 6-7pm, 10pm (3-hourly). Now she's older we adapt it to her particular needs each day so it's more on demand now than then but she basically likes to be fed at about the same times each day.
    I recommend a routine as it means that you know when LO is likely to become hungry and be in the right place to do so. For example when I go shopping with friends I know to tell them in advance that we need to stop for coffee at 10am, lunch at 1pm or that I need to head home at 3:30pm. :\)

One of the benefits of BF is that it is easier to be able to feed her wherever and whenever and also to use the breast as a soother when she's feeling under the weather - I know, bad habits!! image

H xx
  • Options
    blondefriend do you try and keep lo entertained or try to get lo to take a nap if she is grizzly before the 3hrs is up? what bout growth spurts?