Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Stupid Question but please help!

Hi Ladies

I've been breastfeeding for nearly 5 weeks now (despite a multitude of problems - determined to carry on) and have begun expressing this last week using a breast pump. I only express one 125ml bottle a day (if I need to - sore nipples!) and have been giving this bottle straight to my lo. Next week, I'm going to have to leave my baby for the first time when I go to the hairdressers - he'll be with my husband, but I'll need to leave a bottle for him to give to my lo while I'm gone. My plan is to express first thing in the morning and put the bottle (with the storage cap on) in the fridge. Here's my question - when my husband then needs to feed lo, does he have to warm the bottle first? I know the answer is probably yes because that's what seems logical to me. The only reason I'm asking is that in all the books/pamphlets you read about breastfeeding, none of them talk about warming the bottles - am I just being a total wally???? lol

Sorry for being such a naive plonker! Please answer!

Floopy & Ethan

Replies

• Options
    yep I would warm the bottle, you can do this two ways (although only one is 'reccomended' you can boil the kettle and put the bottle in a tub full of hot water for a couple of mins until it is the right temperature, or you can microwave it. A lot of mums do this (I think?) and as long as you do it for 10 secs at a time to make sure it doesnt get too hot, and give it a good shake to make sure there are no hot spots it should be ok......

xxx
  • Options
    Fab. Thanks for that SY. We've actually got a bottle warmer (ready for when I have to return to work in October and lo will really have to be on formula by then - can't see how I can express enough for a whole day) so I'm guessing that will also do. Thanks for your help.

Floopy & Ethan
  • Options
    Hi, I just want to add that I heard you should only swirl breast milk as shaking does something to it - goodness knows what it does or where I heard that but I did! I think I'll go off to google it & see where the science comes into it! lol!
    p.s I went the hairdressers when LO was of simillar age to yours & left LO with my mum with one bottle (I had t section of streaks & a cut! - I felt human again!) & by the time I'd had that done & popped into town to pick up some photos I was having developed & then got home my LO was desperate for a feed, but so were my boobs! lol! So maybe try & leave hubby a little extra if possible.
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png