Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

when to start expressing?

Hi my lo is 10days old now and bf isint painful anymore think we have found the perfect latch now :\) anyway i was wondering when i should start expressing as i want to have some milk in freezer incase i get a night out etc i also didnt get on with expressing last time so any tips would be great :\)
thanks Lin

Replies

• Options
    i found expressing first thing in the morning worked for me as im most full then. I started to express after two weeks and has been fine for me.
    Hope that helps
    Cara x
  • Options
    I started expressing after 4weeks only cos lo hadnt gained birth weight,

I found that I got more from the other breast which the baby hadnt been feeding from. I express in the morning, and at night (when lo is having her 10pm bottle). I found perservance with expressing is the key. I didnt get alot of milk initially, but it does get more the longer you do it,

Hth

susan
    xx
  • Options
    I've been expressing since about 10 days without any problems - except now I have too much! The others are right - you won't get much at first but it does build up. Start by expressing for 5 mins about 30mins after the morning feed then you will get the hindmilk.

Good luck,
    H xx