Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Flippin Mastitis! :-(

I've been trying to come off breastfeeding and bottle feed Emmie as she was beginning to get aggitated on the breast and I thought I wasn't producing as much as is was. She seems much more settled on the bottle. Anyway because of this I started missing out feeds on the breast and because I didn't feel like there was much there I didn't express either. I am so annoyed because I was just saying to my mum on Monday that I was chuffed with myself for exclusivly breast feeding for 3 months and not getting sore or worse, Mastitis. Then yesterday i woke up feeling really engorged and sore. I checked my left breast and i had red patch that was boiling hot and sooooooo tender. Went straight to the docs and got put on antibiotics.

Anyway I'm now in a bit of a situation because I need to drain the breast but A. it is so painful to feed from them or express, B. i want to be stopping breast feeding and i don't want my boobs to start filling all the time again and C. I just DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

My health visitor and doctor told me to do different things. One told me to just breast feed so that it drains the breasts and helps the infection. The other said to express small amounts and just stick with a bottle to feed Emmie.

Have any of you had Mastitis and what did you do if you were in my situation?

Thanx Sam:\?

Replies

• Options
    i would express small amounts just enough to relive the pressure, then take paracetamol to relieve the pain, stuff cold cabbage leaves in your bra to draw everything out. i'm also sure there is a special type of herbal tea you can drink to dry your milk up. google it and see what you get...xxx