Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

expressing questions

My LO is 5weeks old, i expressed for the first time today, only 2 and half ozs. Hubbie's just tried to bottle feed-after a false start he took 1oz and is now screaming the house down!! Ive no idea how much he has off me per feed-should i express and store 1oz at a time? It's only for if we're out during the day or the odd night out but im gutted to throw out the milk i expressed this morning!xx

Replies

• Options
    I expressed a few times and when I read up on it the advice was to freeze EBM in small quantities about 2-3oz per bag to cut down on waste as its so precious. Unfortunatelty if you've tried to give it to your baby but he wont have it all you have to get rid of that bit now as it will have bacteria in it. Millie was taking about 4-5oz of milk per feed at 5 wks she now 7 wks and is BF apart from 2 5-6oz bottles of formula a day. I found expressing too time consuming though and chose to give formula at lunch time or 1st afternoon feed and last evening feed which hubby gives.

Do you breastfeed in public? Is that why you want to express for days out? Its just I couldnt do it as felt to scared as i cant BF discreetly at all, the whole boob has to come out...lol but I think that has alot to with the fact Millie wont latch on without a nipple shield! image I just take a sterilised bottle and a carton of aptimal out with me if I'm going out for a bit and just feed her myself before i go then it gives me 5 or 6 hours before i have to be back to feed her.....i have BF in the back of our car though when been out a bit longer than i thought I would be.
    xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply beth. I think im going to express 1oz a day for the rest of the week then gradually increase as he gets used to the bottle, i don't want to keep throwing it away. I fed him after he'd taken the oz and he fed for another 10mins so i think he needs to just get used to the bottle.

I can't feed in public, we can't do it discreetly-he always comes off a couple of times during a feed, usually during let-down as it's so fsat he gags-you can imagine the mess!!

I really like the idea of having formula for when we're out, i think i'll try that in a few weeks . My car's kitted out for feeding too-always handy!xx
  • Options
    ah, i'm yet to try expressing, still need to buy a breast pump. But i must admit i'm a bit worried about where on earth i'll find the time to express, and if i'm just better off solely bf, but i really want laila to have a bottle asap as i know some babies have real probs going from breast to bottle.
    goodluck
    xx