Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Better feeds at night/trouble staying latched on

Hi ladies

I'm hoping some of you more experienced BF'ers will be able to help me out!

Last week Olyvia was feeding every 3 hours for about 7 - 12 minutes at a time. She was latching on well and staying on until she was done. However, the last couple of days everythings gone a bit awol and now she's latching on ok but only stays on for 30 seconds - a minute a lot of the time. She then comes off again and seems to get angry/frustrated and isn't interested in feeding - it's like she doesn't want any food. A couple of times we've then tried giving her a bottle of expressed milk but she isn't really interested in that either, so it's like she's not hungry. This is in the daytime but then at night she will feed much better. Like yesterday at 5pm, 8pm and 11pm she barely had a few minutes at each feed (and then 20ml of EBM at 11pm) but at 2am she took 80ml of EBM and then at 5am latched on right away and stayed there and fed well for about 10 minutes.

Does anyone elses baby feed better at night and then isn't really that hungry in the day?

It's getting me really worried and upset when she's not latching on/stayong on long, which I know won't be helping the situation but I can't help but worry especially as her birth weight was only 4lb 11oz so she's still really small (5lb 2oz last Tuesday at her weigh in).

But I was also wondering if she might get quite a bit in a few minutes on the breast as my milk seems to come out pretty quickly and I have been lucky to have a really good supply so far?

Any help much appreciated! :\)

Love NN and Olyvia xxx

http://lb1f.lilypie.com/Tp6A.png

http://lbff.lilypie.com/vBTq.png

Replies

• Options
    Hiya all i can suggest is plenty of skin on skin time,feed lay down tops off in bed helps loads.
    make sure her mouth is fully open like a yawn wen latching on and also that her nose is level with your nipple.
    have you a breastfeeding group near u or a bf advisor locally,mine helped me beyond belief and they can check your positioning, for tonge tie or thrush on the tonge too for you which is so helpfull.
    good luck x
  • Options
    Beth was/is same. HV said she may just get enough milk really quickly. Or may be coming off and on to trigger a new let down. Or may just be more relaxed at night and prefer to feed then. Hard to know really.

She said as long as her weight is going up and she is having wet nappies she is getting enough and to not worry about it. She's 4 months now and has been like this since about 2-3 weeks. It's really hard but I am learning to be a bit more relaxed about it.

• Options
    Fraser feeds better at night too as he gets distracted in the day. I now have to turn the telly off and not talk to him or anyone while I'm feeding. The worst thing is if my husband comes home and shouts hello as Fraser jerks his head back to look taking my boob with him!

If he comes of and starts screaming and arching his back in the day I try to offer it to him again once but if not I just leave it as I assume he can't really be that hungry. It's not so bad at home but can get quite embarrassing out in public as I worry that people will think I'm trying to force myself on him!

Hope you find a solution that works for you. Or fingers crossed it could just be a phase. xxx

• Options
    if she's gettung 'angry' but refusing to feed it cld be possible that she's got some wind? try winding her then putting her back to the breast, it might help hth xx
  • Options
    Siany - I was going to say the same thing - Bebe can never feed with wind and she gets upset! xxx