Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

other peoples bm,ch4 10pm anyone watching??

hi there just wondered if anybody else will be watching tonight??also icv just replied to the little debate over on the baby forum and hope i dnt start anything??!!!lol

Replies

• Options
    i recorded it and am watching it now...............then i'll go and look t your post
  • Options
    hiya I watched it with facination.
    I am currently breastfeeding my 6 month old. I see no issues with cross feeding for prem babies or in emergencies.

I made a new friend who was also breastfeeding and about 2 weeks after we met she messed up her medication and the Dr told her she could not breastfeed her son for 12 hours. He screamed and screamed and would not take a bottle. I joked that she should have called me and I would have sorted him out. She said yes she should of.

We now know each other better and have said that if it had happened now neither of us would have any reservations about me feeding him or vice versa with my daughter. But he would not take a bottle (and neither will my baby) so I suppose we would have to actually breastfeed. Although I would not just "swap" babies and cross feed for the hell of it..(like some of the ladies in the programme) ,if it was an emergency I would.

What I find weird is that many women choose to give their babies milk from a 4 legged farm animal when they are capable of making superior quaility milk themselves.

I have only posted this on the breastfeeding forum as I do not want to get into any debate with selfish bottlefeeders. (I bet that causes an outrage as well...but I only meant the ones that do not even TRY to breastfeed...so therefore they should not be even on this forum!)

Amanda
  • Options
    I agree with you talulah, there are times when cross feeding is really benificial.
    Personally I feel that breastfeeding my child is a really special thing that I do so wouldn't want someone else doing it. But if it was for a medical reason it would be different.
  • Options
    hi i watched that last night and i agree with you 100% in a case of an emergency then i would cross feed but any other time i wouldnt its a personal bond i feel between mother and child and should not be a normal everyday thing for someone else to brest feed your child.

loren
  • Options
    I am probably in the minority here but I would not let another woman breast feed my baby nor would I feel right about breast feeding someone elses baby, If my baby was ill and needed breast milk and I couldnt feed then I would feed expressed (donated) breast milk and I would donate to a milk bank but I have to admit I would be insanely jealous and could never let another woman put my baby to her breast, I loved breast feeding and when I went back to work when my 3 year old was 6 months I expressed to feed her whilst I wasnt there but if I couldnt have expressed I would have given her formula, I dont know why but to me it just doesnt seem right to feed someone elses baby in that way. I dont have a problem with anyone who does and the lady who fed the 2 african children that were going to die was absolutely amazing but some of the people on that film I could see no point.
  • Options
    I have been thinking about it all a bit more and have come to the conclusion that the reason why people (including me) feel that it is wrong to physically breastfeed another child or have our child bf by soeone else (i'm not including by bottle for medical reasons) is that we see breastfeeding our babies as a very special thing. And I think we should be proud that we enjoy feeding our babies and see it as such a special thing to do and find find it such a lovely, bonding experience.

[Modified by: lisajoy on September 10, 2008 02:41 PM]

• Options
    completely agree lisajoy, when those 2 women who were cross feeding swapped babies, the way that baby was gazing into the womans eyes who was feeding him was a real look of love, I loved that when I was feeding my babies and it may be selfish but I wouldnt want them looking at another woman in that way, breastfeeding is a special bond between mother and baby and as I said before unless it was for medical reasons in a bottle I couldnt do it.

Another woman made a point that you wouldnt have a problem with handing your baby to someone else if you bottle fed, well I have to say that I did, my first was bottlefed from birth and I wouldnt let anyone else feed him, I alwasy felt very on edge and uneasy on the odd occasion I let someone else feed him.
  • Options
    i am so glad i watched it,there were some very interesting topics.The man with cancer well that was just magic,id like to look into more benefits after seeing that so if anyone knows of anything else bm is good for other than feeding baby feel free to list!also the african babies,i almost cried that woman is amazing n i cnt believe she got death threats!id definately do that if i was in the situation to help a dying baby.Also the gay blokes,wot a commitment and the woman who tricked her body so she could feed her adopted baby well thats just sheer determination isnt it.I dont think i could let another woman feed grace although id gladly except donated bm if needed xxx
  • Options

Another woman made a point that you wouldnt have a problem with handing your baby to someone else if you bottle fed, well I have to say that I did, my first was bottlefed from birth and I wouldnt let anyone else feed him, I alwasy felt very on edge and uneasy on the odd occasion I let someone else feed him.

I was wondering about how ff mums felt about that! I think I would be the same
  • Options
    tbh the idea used to horrify me but after watching that i have kind of cahanged my mind. i would have no problems with bf some one elses baby but would be a little squeamish about some one feeding mine if that makes sence. i would let her have some one elses ebm in a bottle just not straight from the boob. x
  • Options
    Hi,
    Watched the program with fascination and it really opened my eyes to the whole cross feeding thing. I now think it's quite a special thing to do..under certain circumstances(such as illness etc). I also greatly admire those (inc ladies on here) that donate to the milk bank. I did, however, think it was a shame that the programme makers included the brazilian woman who baby sat and put the kids to her breast and mentioned something about 'sexual' feelings...I think this lowered the tone of an otherwise interesting show.
  • Options
    I think some have interpreted the lady's comments about breastfeeding being a 'sexual' experience in the wrong way. In the west we always give 'sexual' an erotic connotation but I think sexuality has a much wider meaning. Sexuality involves femininity, gender, emotions, the body etc. You might say that pregnancy and childbirth are closely related to sexuality but needless to say I was never turned on by it all (!!!!) Breastfeeding is an intensely beautiful, feminine experience and I feel it has added to my sense of being a woman (of my sexuality as a woman?) Perhaps I'm not making much sense, but I think that I know what I mean even if anyone else doesn't!!!
  • Options
    yes, I do see where you're coming from campbelly. And I have to say that when she mentioned it I started to think she meant something a bit 'deeper' ...but then the subject was left at that, sounding more than slightly dodgy. I suppose it didn't help her cause that she mentioned she 'breastfed' the children without even asking the parents! I do think most people including myself would not like to hear such a comment related to breastfeeding and since most of the other people involved were shown in a positive light it left me dissapointed that the woman's story was included.
  • Options
    The problem I had with that woman was that she had never actually had any children so she wasnt infact breastfeeding them she was letting them suckle at something that wasnt giving them food, she did say that eventually she started to produce colostrum but I found her very strange, also I think it is completely wrong to do that with someone elses child without asking their permision firt (and as I have said previously I wouldnt give my permision but each to there own)
  • Options
    I finally got a chance to watch this program on Sky + this morning. After a lot of thought, I think I would have given Charlotte someone else's breast milk in a bottle if it had been an emergency or she was premature or couldn't take formula but not actually have someone else breastfeed her - that's something that's just for her and I to share. In the same way, I would donate milk to a milk bank - my mum did when I was a baby - but I wouldn't breastfeed someone else's baby.
    I thought it was a really interesting program. The men's point of views were interesting. I was very impressed by the gay couple and their 3 babies! My husband's obsessed by spreadsheets too!