Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

how long should baby feed for each time?

Hi,

Phoebe is 6 days old. She is feeding well but I'm worried that she doesn't seem to be on each feed for very long. Initially she fed for 20 minutes or so each time but now it's more like 10 minutes and sometimes only 5. She is feeding roughly every 2 hours but sometimes every hour and sometimes 3 hours between feeds. She is doing plenty wet and dirty nappies but just worried in case she isn't feeding for long enough each time.

What do you think? Is this normal for a newborn?

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun, it is perfectly normal for babies to feed for differing amounts of time, as they get older they get far more efficient at getting the milk out and take less time to do it. My daughter who is alsmost 4 would spend 15-20 mins each side at each feed whereas my son who is 14 months would feed for 5-10 mins on one side, they both put weight on well infact my son put on more. Try not to worry, if you are getting plenty of wet and dirty nappies and your baby seems happy then she will be getting enough.
  • Options
    Hi, my LO had very short feeds & only from one breast for each feed as I had such a fast let down he was filled up very quickly! lol! So don't worry if your bb isn't feeding to any guideline times as every bb is different & every mothers milk production is different too!
    As Lindsay & Henry said - be prepared for the growth spurts...I had a day when LO was on the boob every hour & I felt like all I did was feed that day but it's only a day or two.
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• Options
    Thanks guys, you've made me feel sooo much better and I'll try and stop frantically watching the clock constantly when she's feeding and just relax and enjoy it. She has plenty wet nappies so I guess I must be doing something right!