Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Help cutting out last feed at 12 months (the bedtime one)!

Firstly wanted to say hi again to everyone as I've been away from baby expert for a while. I've had horrendous morning sickness that even stopped me going online!

My lo will be 12 months at the end of the month and I definitely want to stop bf now due to the pregnancy. Over the last month I've managed to get him down to one feed at bedtime and last night tried to stop this...and it was awful. My lo screamed for 45 minutes before finally crying himself to sleep. I would normally take him to his room after his bath, feed him straight away and put him straight down without much talking etc as I found that he wouldn't settled if I hung around. Last night I wanted to have some special wind down/cuddling time with him to replace the feed but he wasn't having any of it and kept trying to lie down to feed. I tried reading a book/cuddling etc but no avail, so in the end just had to put him down and leave hm to it. I went in every 10 minutes although it didn't help. How has everyone else got through this? I have a feeling I will just have to leave him to cry but feel really bad under the circumstances. Also do babies this age normally have a drink of cows milk before bed to replace the feed? He still won't drink milk from a cup so I'm wondering if I should maybe give him a little yoghurt or something before bed? Sorry I'm quite clueless about this! Hoping for some advice....

Replies

• Options
    Hi, poor you it is so hard when you know exactly what your lo wants. You could try maybe reading him a story first then limiting the amount of time he feeds, gradually winding it down. I stopped Isaacs bed time feed at about 14 months, by that time he was just so much more interested in his story, like your lo he wouldnt drink milk from a cup and he still doesnt so apart from breakfast cereal he doesnt drink any milk, he does have plenty of yoghurts and cheese though. I think it will be tough but after a few days he will get the idea. xx
  • Options
    Thanks hayley, I will keep persevering with the story but he's never really been interested and always been more of a 'boob then bed' kind of guy!
    It went better tonight anyway. I tried the book then left, he cried but only a few minutes tonight. We'll get there but I feel so mean! xx
  • Options
    sounds like you're doing really well by sticking to it, just don't give in and it won't be long before he gets used to it. i know my sister's little girl at 2 and half still has cows milk before bed. will he take a bottle? my friend weaned her little girl off the boob when she was 2 and swapped it for a bottle of really milky redbush tea which her little girl loved and even said it tasted like her mummy's milk lol.

good luck anyway and let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Hi - I came on here today to post exactly the same question! Violet is very nearly 12 months and for the last couple of weeks has cut to one feed a day which is her bedtime feed. She doesn't feed for long and I feel she sucks for comfort - she has a small amount of cows milk in the morning and she takes that fine, so was going to give her cows milk in the evening - I am reluctant to give a bottle as she has never had one but feel she will play with the beaker. Should I warm the milk for her?
    I am not able to leave her to go to sleep on her own as she will disturb her sister (she shares a room) - should I just cuddle her to sleep without any milk of any kind or give her the beaker? I bottle fed by 2 other children so this is all different to me!!

Thanks - and sorry for crashing your post!!

Sam xx
  • Options
    thanks guys. Chriss he won't take a bottle. well I tried on and off until he was 4-5 months but he wouldnt have it so gave up and went straight to a cup. I couldn't express by that point so he got used to only water in his cup.
    Does redbush tea have caffeine?!
    Sam you sound just as confused as me! hopefully someone can help.I think re warming the milk it will probably depend on your lo. When angelo has taken a few sips from his cup it's when it's been cold from the fridge so i guess it's personal preferance. Although I do think that warm milk may have sleep inducing properties (?) Can i ask how you get your lo to sleep? Mine won't sleep if i'm in the room, cuddling, reading etc has never helped and i usually just leave him to have a little moan. now i feel as since i stopped the bf he screams like you would not believe but won't be comforted (unless fed of course)! Anyway, the screaming is getting less on a positive note. x
  • Options
    Hiya, redbush tea is naturally caffine free. I get TickTock the original Rooibus tea which i think is organic too, redbush is another variety but most people recognise that rather than tick tock.

i read that oats have sleep properties, does he have supper? maybe you could try an oaty supper with a sip of water before bed.

i think you are doing really well though anyway. my lo very often just wants to go to sleep on his own, has his mobile a kiss and then i leave the room. mostly now he just goes to sleep after much practice.

i really do think by getting them to go to sleep on their own even if they cry is the best thing, it's a great lesson to for them to learn and unless you are very very lucky it's us as mums who have to teach them

good luck again and keep us posted
  • Options
    Hi missymoo - at the moment she either falls asleep on the breast or like last night (9pm) laying on the sofa with me, she doesn't like to be cuddled at night so I lay her on her feeding pillow and rub her belly or legs - she is a fussy little madam and will push your hand to where she wants to be rubbed!! I will miss the closeness when I stop completely. In the morning she has milk straight from the fridge so might try warming a touch before bed as like you suggested warm milk is supposed to aid sleep - heres hoping anyway!!

Thanks
    Sam xx
  • Options
    Hiya,
    I think i may try the redbush tea and I really like the sound of a porridge supper before bed, also a good way to get some milk in him. It's still not going brilliantly and he's screaming like there's a mad axeman in his room but there doesn't seem to be any way round at the mo. Hope it doesn't last too long tho as it's not fun!
    Sam I know what you mean about missing the closeness, I can definitely see how it would be easy to carry on breastfeeding. I would like to be a ble to do a bit of massage with my lo but there's no way he would sit still for a second! lots of luck xx

[Modified by: missymoo on August 25, 2008 07:32 AM]

• Options
    Ahh i really hope things calm down for you soon i'm sure they will repetition is the key. hope the suppers help.
  • Options
    Hi Missymoo and Sam,

I can't offer any words of wisdom sorry as my LO is just 5 1/2 months and being bf but I think I'll be going through a similar thing to you guys when we stop! Having said that, I'm def not ready to stop for a good while. I hope you crack it soon. Try not to feel bad. You've given your bubbas a brilliant start and they can still have that closeness in other ways. Although, I think I'd feel exactly the same as you. There is something uniquely special about bf which I only fully appreciate now.

Good luck!

Jo x