Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

still breastfeeding!!

hi all, my son blake turned a year old on may 11th and i am still breastfeeding him - without any formula whatsoever.

did try to combine breast and bottle but he would have none of it! i only wanted him to have formula if i wasnt there as i didnt get on with expressing...but although i tried every formula on the market and every bottle&teat combination he just would not drink it!

so he has never once drank from a bottle and has only ever drank breast milk from me. i put hi on to beakers at 4 months with juice and now he drinks from a cup which i see as a bonus!

the thing is now is that he wont drink whole milk either and im feeding him sometimes twice during the day sometimes 6-8 times...so its not like i can cut out a certain feed.

hv doesnt seem to have any suggestions so thought i would try here as it was great when i was pregnant!!

im not saying i want to stop breastfeeding now, but i would like to know how to go about it if i did decide to stop. i am content to keep feeding him for as long as he wants to...though preferably not after he reaches about 2 - 2 1/2, as i do want my body back some day lol.

anyone else still going?

thanks, kim (and an ever thirsty blake) xxx

Replies

• Options
    Sorry, have no advice for you, but just want to say that I think you're really lucky to have such a good run with the whole breastfeeding thing! Good luck with everything though...
  • Options
    I'm hoping to feed my lo as long as he wants to he's 6months + at the mo and i want to feed him until he's at least 1 but probably longer. I'm lucky that he has from day 1 taken breast or bottle just the same and is happy to switch from one to the other and he's ok with the odd carton of ready mixed formula if i've got no expressed milk and have to leave him.

the only thing i can suggest is that you keep trying with whole milk. i read that it can take about 13 tastes of something new for a baby to get used to it and then be happy to have it (think this was about foods but i suppose it's the same thing)

i would just keep trying and use his cup if he prefers that to a bottle. My mum fed my sister till she was about 2 and when she diecided to stop she just said the milk was gone and it only took a couple of days to sink in before she didn't bother asking for it any more.

my friend also fed her 2nd baby till she was 2 and substituted her milk for warm and very milky organic rooibus tea (tick tock) which is naturally caffine free (i drink this anyway it's lovely) and it has a lovely flavour which may help to disguise the milk flavour

hope you get on ok and keep me posted.
  • Options
    hiya

Ollie is one next tues and he still bf.
    Well, he has his morning and midday from me and cows milk for bed.
    We just gave it to him and he drank it - but it was in a bottle. at first he wouldnt take it but he soon realised it was all he was gonna get at bed time, because i had to go to work.

I dont intend to stop his other feeds tho because its so nice of a morning knowing that his smile is for me (alright for my milk :lol: )

sorry probably not much help at all, but i'd say it would just be a case of not offering them breast when you want to stop.
    xxxx
  • Options
    hi.` my archie is 1 on june 3rd and i am still breast feeding him. he just feeds when he needs it really, but it sounds like he feeds alot to what your babies do. i haven't started to give him cows milk yet to drink but would like to start soon.
    i don't want to stop feeding him as i like it. but i can feel that my milk has reduced. be nice to get some nice bras lol.!!!!xxxx
  • Options
    Hi I am still bf my daughter who will be 14 months next week and she still has 6 or 7 feeds a day mainly because she still isn't very good with beakers and has never had a bottle (and if I am honest also because I love bf her!). Having said that, when she is unwell she won't eat and doesn't feed as well and when she was unwell a couple of weeks ago, for the first time all she wanted was a beaker with either water of milk in. I felt that my milk had reduced during that week and thought it would be a good time to cut down on feeds but now she is better she is feeding the same as before and I am relieved that I seem to have as much milk as before as I can hear her gulping it.
    She will drink my expressed milk (still have a freezer full of the stuff which the milk bank can't use becuase it is over 3 months old) in a cup but obviously needs help to do that.
    Kim, you sound like you are happy to carry on feeding and and as I am too I am not worrying too much about what will happen when she stops bf. I did worry a couple of months ago as she couldn't drink from a beaker but she managed when she was unwell so I am sure if Blake stops bf he will get what he needs - babies change all the time and if you end up feeding him until he is 2 he will be much more independent by then.
    If you are concerned at any time about milk intake just try and give him as much as you can in his food ie on cereal, yogurts, sauces, cheese etc and I am sure he will be fine.
    Oh and by the way well done for reaching a year of bf - it feels great doesn't it!!
    I am also happy to carry on feeding but know what you mean about looking forward to getting your body back and pen, can't wait to get some nice bras too! xx
  • Options
    hi Isaac was 1 on 18 April and he still feeds first thing and bed time although i think he is giving up the morning feed as he is less interested in it now. I fed my 3 year old till she was about 21 months at bedtime, they give up when they are ready.
  • Options
    I am still Bf my 26 month old she only has the one feed now before bed time I Bf through my pregnancy and i am feeding her 9 month old sister about 8 times a day she cant handle a cup and wont even think of using a bottle even my health visitor cant believe i am sill feeding my oldest it is helpful when she is ill and wont eat she will always have boobie she will give it up when she is ready so just go with the flow with your little one
    hope this helps
    Angharad Roberts
    Arwen 26 months
    Cerys 9 months