Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

greedy baby?

Hi there,grace is almost 6 weeks old and has always fed more in an evening.She is quite a sicky baby after most feeds and im just wondering do u think shes being greedy n maybe dosent need as much as she has?She has been feeding from me for the past 3 hours and has just thrown up all over me!nice!so i would assume shes had enough but shes screaming now for more!wot do u all reckon??? thanx hanna n grace xx

Replies

• Options
    Is she definitely screaming for more or is she screaming cos she is uncomfy??
  • Options
    her mouth is goin n when i pick her up shes rooting,just latched her on n shes goin like shes starving,this normal?should she be being so sick?
  • Options
    is she being sick or just posseting? posseting is ok, but being properly sick you might need to get her seen to... ??
  • Options
    It's hard - sick can look like loads and actually not be much - when Max was being v sick I went to the docs and he got about 10 mls of water in a syringe and sprayed it onto a paper towel and it looked like LOADS. I just wondered though cos Max would do this (not feed for that long though!) and the suckle again it turns out that he has Reflux (although it is cleared up now he is 29 weeks) and refluxy babies often like to suck as the salavia they swallow nutralises (sp??) the acid! SO he now has a dummy and if he wants to feed after being sick I try him wiht the dummy and if he's hungry he spits it out and I feed and if he just wants to suck he keeps it in!

I have no idea if this applies to your little one though so it might be no help!
  • Options
    Lucas did this. It was colic. He thought feeding would make him feel better so he asked for food, this often made him worse, adding to his wind etc!
  • Options
    Oh yeah sorry also Max would scream when he was laid on his back as this made it worse - hence why I asked about the screaming!
  • Options
    thanx ladies for the replies,crafti charlie i have tried a dummy but she never keeps it in so she dosen't have one.I'm not sure how much sick is normal but alot of the time if i put her down in her bouncy chair or car seat for etc after a feed it can fire out and soak her clothes,i've had 2 change 2 outfits on her today and 1 top on me! i have to change her baby grows at night a lot of the time form her being sick,we went thru 3 the other night!The last few mornings i've had to bath her cuz shes been so sick in the night that its all over the back of her hair n its all matted,poor thing!half way through a feed she starts wriggling loads n pulling on me as though she has wind but she always burps when i wind her.I had no idea a breastfed baby could be so sicky or windy!!
  • Options
    It might be worth keeping an eye on it. Check out these websites for info about Reflux and if you think the symptoms tie up with what you are experiencing then speak to your hv or gp about it and ty her on gavsicon - it certainly made my life much easier with Max. He was going through loads of clothes every day as was I - he was sick in his sleep and all sorts. If the vomit is projectile rather than dribbling down the chin then it is something to think about!

Let us know how it goes!

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/health/vomitingexpert/
    http://www.babyexpert.com/Baby/Reflux-~-the-facts/v1
  • Options
    thanx,just taken a look and she has most of the signs apart from shes not loosing weight.sometimes when shes sick it flies out of her mouth like shooting out n out of her nose,is this projectile or not??i'll mention it to my hv,shes sick in the night too which is bit worrying.
  • Options
    Yep that sounds very familiar! Max too was always putting on weight so to start with the hv wasn't worried that he was being sick so much but after 3 nights in a row of him screaming EVERY time he was put on his back I went to her and listed all his symptoms which was almost eveyrthing on the list and she immediately prescribed the gaviscon adn the change was instantaneous after his first dose. Like I say now at 29 weeks (on Wed) he has just come off it totally today and has been fine - the muscle just strengthens over time. He was on it from about 12 weeks-ish.

Max too was sick out of his nose and yes sick int he night - often - we would get through 4/5 suits a night and his moses basket would be covered too, in the day we woudl change him a similar 4/5 times too. SOmetimes it would be him having a burp that would bring it all flying out but they should be able to cope with having a burp and if the muscle was strong they would manage to keep food down.

Anyway I would definitely mention it and see where you get to! It is hard dealing with all the puke along with eveyrthing else - getting everything washed etc is trying!!!! But stick to it! ALso just so you know this affects bottlefed just as much as breastfed!
  • Options
    thanx lots,i am starting to dread the evenings as all she does is feed n then when we go up to bed n i put her in her moses basket she just keep crying,dnt know wot 2 do i'm not gettin to sleep till the early hrs n then holly gets up at 6.30!i'm really starting to wonder where the light at the end of the tunnel is with breastfeeding.I was told the first 6 weeks is the hardest and im almost at 6 weeks!At this age my bottlefed older daughter had settled into a routine of having her last bottle at bout 8.30 n sleeping till 3.30 n then till 6.30!Grace wakes at these times also but dosen;t settle in an evening so me n my husband r having no time to ourselves and hes tired for work with her crying till early hrs!!
  • Options
    Oh goodness Holly's mum+bump - those early weeks are hard work but truely it will get easier, just try and take one day at a time! As I said before if it is reflux then it would affect Grace just as much whether she was bottle or breast fed so I would say it is definitely worth looking into with the hv before you make any decisions.

You are doing a great job and I hope you manage to keep going - you are giving lo a great start. It is not having those evenings that is so tricky but when you get them back it will give you a new lease of life!
    Thinking of you and sending hugs!
  • Options
    thanx ladies,i gave her 3 oz of formula at 5 when she usually starts her constant feeding and i've only had 2 feed her once since myself so i'm gonna consider giving a couple of bottles in an evening i think aswell as me breastfeeding if it makes us all happier n gives us time for other things as well as feeding!It been lovely,i have bathed my 3yr old and put her to bed for the 1st time since having grace!I'll mention it to my hv 2moz n c wot she thinks.I am definately not gonna give up bf,as i say its fine during the day its the evenings that r just mad at the mo so im sure giving 1 or 2 bottles to top her up isnt gonna do any harm.Strangely shes not been sick today!!they do like to confuse us dnt they!

Lindsay what dummys do u use?Grace wnt take one,i have the mam ones but shes not interested!
    Thank u all for being my saviour n reassuring me thru this difficult time! hanna n baby grace xx
  • Options
    How's it going Hanna? Has Grace settled down at all yet? This bf'ing lark is just so hard isn't it? Very worthwhile, but sooo hard!xx
  • Options
    Hi Karen,back to feelin gr8 again thanx,yes it is hard!i'm sure just as u start feeling good about it all n thinking u understand their little ways they go n confuse u again!!Yes she has settled down and i now know she was goin thru another growth spurt!hv weighed her yday n shed put on 13oz in a week so i feel lots better knowing that!!Also mentioned the sickness to hv and she thinks that she may have reflux n that i should get her into the docs to get her checked!How r u gettin on?? xxxx
  • Options
    Well done hon - if she's putting weight on she's obviously keeping down what she needs so that's reassuring in itself. Hopefully it'll be a reflux that can be treated as one of the other ladies said with Gaviscon. I moan about the washing and ironing in our house - you must be pulling your hair out!

We're doing ok - I'm absolutely knackered though cos Reiss tends to be really unsettled after his feed around 3.30-5ish and won't settle back to sleep until about 7 which is when Jules is getting up!

However, he's put on 15oz this week the little lardy so bf'ing seems to be going well - still got sore and senstive nips but nothing like the really early days thank goodness - I'm sure once he's fed he's just sucking for comfort and not sure if I should take him off at this point or what - it's all very confusing!

You're right, you think you've got it sussed then they throw another spanner in the works the little buggers!xx
  • Options
    Well done hon - if she's putting weight on she's obviously keeping down what she needs so that's reassuring in itself. Hopefully it'll be a reflux that can be treated as one of the other ladies said with Gaviscon. I moan about the washing and ironing in our house - you must be pulling your hair out!

We're doing ok - I'm absolutely knackered though cos Reiss tends to be really unsettled after his feed around 3.30-5ish and won't settle back to sleep until about 7 which is when Jules is getting up!

However, he's put on 15oz this week the little lardy so bf'ing seems to be going well - still got sore and senstive nips but nothing like the really early days thank goodness - I'm sure once he's fed he's just sucking for comfort and not sure if I should take him off at this point or what - it's all very confusing!

You're right, you think you've got it sussed then they throw another spanner in the works the little buggers!xx
  • Options
    thanx,well done 2 u too 15oz wow thats fab!Sounds like u 2 have got it cracked too!Yea there is quite alot of washing!lol shes goin thru a couple of vests n babygrows a night at least n also lots of muslin cloths n moses basket sheets!I can't believe grace is 6 weeks on sat its scary how fast its gone.I'm sure 1 of the other mums said on here that if u think they r comfort sucking then u should unlatch as u will get sore.Hope they heal soon i know how painful it can be! xxx