Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Green poos

Hi ladies,

my lovely little girl is 14 days old and breastfeeding has been going well, but in last night and today she's been doing green poos.

She seems fine, still weeing ok, doesn't seem to be unhappy or in pain, is sleeping well and alert when she's awake. I spoke to the health visitor and she said it could either be shes not getting enough of the hind milk or that shes feeding too much...

so been feeding her long time on each boob to make sure shes getting hind milk but also just wanted to check with you my gurus that shes k and see if anyone else has any tips/wisdom or reassurance!

thanks for reading!

Replies

• Options
    hiya

I had this with my lo when he was smaller (he's 15 weeks now). He only had it for a couple of days a couple of times and I never really got to the bottom (no pun intended) of it. I presume he was only getting the foremilk so I made sure I put him back on the same boob if he'd had a bit of a break to make sure he was emptying one side.

Mind you, he also put on a pound a week for a good few weeks, so possibly he was overfeeding as well!xx
  • Options
    My little boy has been doing green poss for about 4 or 5 weeks now (he's 9 weeks) and HVs have always said its okay. He's had some blood in his poo today and yesterday so I am seeing the doc tomorrow and will be asking her about the colour too.
  • Options
    hey,

I was told that green poo's can mean that the baby has taken all the goodness out of the breast milk. This doesn't neccessarily mean that you havn't fed enough but most likely be because they are going through a growth spurt.
  • Options
    as ever, feel much better for your responses!! Thank you ladies!

she is still green pooing but i'm trying to relax about it now.
    xxx
  • Options
    I have just changed the first poo my lo has done that has made me feel sick. It had green streaks in it and it stank!
  • Options
    freyas poo was often green when she was younger. the health vistiter told me not to worry as she was gaining weight steadily and was well in her self. so dont worry im sure all is fine. x