Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Bye from me....

Hi girls!

After 7 1/2 months of express feeding, I'm now on my 11th day of not expressing so it looks like it's over for me. Just wanted to say a big thank you for all of your support over the last 8 months, even though I don't count myself as a fully paid up member of the BF club you've treated me as one of your own, which is a lot more than I can say for doctors and HV.

I am happy to say that gving up hasn't been at all painful, at times a little uncomfortable but bearably so and now I feel I can get on and enjoy the little time I have before going back to work without being tied to my pump. I actually feel a lot happier in myself and can't help wondering if the BF hormones were a partial cause of my PND?

Hopefully I can try again when no.2 comes along perhaps it'll work out better now my nipples are a bit tougher - I'm guessing they'll never go back to being 'normal' again?

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks and giving up doesn't have to be painful - just do it slowly! :lol:

Corinna x

Replies

• Options
    Congratulations, that is an AMAZING achievement. I don't know how you've managed it, I express once a day and that's hard enough work! So very well done. Your little one is very lucky to have such a loving and dedicated mummy. You should be so proud of yourself.

• Options
    Wow well done you. i breastfed Tegan for 6 months and i found that difficult enough without having to express 1st and then bottle feed it, i dont think i could have done what you have. so you should be very proud of yourself and especially for doing it for so long!!

Hannah 40+1 xx
  • Options
    I can't even begin to imagine how much effort that took-welldone, you've done an amazing job for your little one xx
  • Options
    Hi i just want to say a big well done to you as well! Not many woman could have had the dedication you had exclusively express feeding for so long, i know i wouldn't! I often found it hard to get the time to express once a day let alone for every feed. You should be so proud of yourself xx
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies xxx I don't really see it as a big deal cos I wasn't able to BF properly for long enough to get into a routine, so all I know is my "pumping routine". I do get annoyed though when people give up easily saying there was no other alternative but to give formula (not pointing at anyone in particular before I start a slanging war!!!) I am quite chuffed with myself as I passed my 6 month target and proved the critics wrong (I am sooo stubborn)

Now I just can't wait for a good night out and loads of alcohol image Bring it on!!!
  • Options
    Don't think we've spoken before but just wanted to say really well done, I've always been so impressed that you expressed every feed for so long. Shame on the HV for not supporting you more, what you've done for your little one is amazing, much harder than feeding her directly I think - and I don't say that lightly, I found breastfeeding painful for quite a while (but stubborn like you and while he was doing well refused to give any formula at all until he was 6 months!). We never mastered discrete public feeding so I expressed for when he'd need a feed out somewhere where there'd be nowhere to hide, and found that hard work enough.
    I stopped breastfeeding completely 3 weeks ago at 8 1/2 months, because I'm back at work now (boo!), and it is quite emotional - but when I was ill a week later it was nice to be able to take more than paracetamol!

Well done again!